Close

Horse back riding

I am an avid horseback rider and I am looking for affordable places I can go. Other than the tourist $65 places... Any ideas?

What?! $65 for horseback riding in ecuador? I was expecting much less..

pin2xbo :

What?! $65 for horseback riding in ecuador? I was expecting much less..

I think you'll experience more "What?!" moments when it comes to prices in Ecuador. If it's any consolation I'm experiencing that this week. I'm shopping for a SmartTv, and the cost is 3 times what it is on Amazon. Yes three times as much, so I'm waiting for Ecuadorean Black Friday in which the price will only be double what it costs on Amazon.

vsimple,

Prices of electronics are understandable if they are pricier than in the US. But this is horseback riding.. it costs ~$20 in other under-developed countries.

Several months ago, I asked the same question as the OP, where can I go horseback riding (Quito). After doing research I realized that most of the places had tours tailored for tourists and at tourist’s prices. The cheapest I found was about $20 per hour, which I would be fine with, but transportation there would have been another issue.

Unfortunately, it’s not only products that can be very expensive here, services like quality schools, car rentals, some flights to neighboring countries are also expensive.

Thanks for the insight vsimple! I'm guessing activities/products that the local consume least are more expensive.

Perhaps, but it's something we learn to deal with but either avoiding such costly services or limiting them.

Try Monte Runa, but book through their website and call. They pick you up ride all day and the horses are happy and healthy. If I find cheaper riding I'll let you know :)

We found Ilalo Adventures in Cunuyacu, behind the British school, 15min. from Quito. There you need just to pay the entrance $5 adults, $3 kids and you can ride horses, hike from 10a.m to 4:00pm. You'd need to have your own food. They have their own horse, but it is quite small. Slightly higher than pony, the "local" Andean race horse.

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador