Furniture Shopping

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can give some advice as to where a few good places would be to go to buy furniture here? We don't want to spend a ton of money but we don't want it to fall apart in one year either. We're going to be moving into a house in a little over a month and are currently renting a furnished flat. We're looking to buy basically a living room set (ie- sofa/chairs/coffee table etc) as well as the area rugs, outdoor furniture,  carpet stair runners. We're moving into an old character home and the stairs once repainted will be very slippery so we'd like a carpet runner for sure!

Anyhow those are the main things I can think off the top of my head- mainly living room furniture for now. Any ideas would be great! Also we'll have to do some fixing up and refinishing work so any suggestions if anyone has done any of that in their own homes here also would be nice :)

thanks again!

Ive been renovating an old house for about 3 years and I struggle to get nice things in Malta I have to say, bring alot out from the UK...!

What type of style are you going to go for?  I like HomeTrends in San Gwann and Kare which is now in The Atrium on the Mriehel bypass and also Orienta in Lija.  In Birkirkara there are lots of furniture shops, they tend to all sell very modern furniture though.

Good luck

Well we will be moving into a very old Maltese townhouse, so I don't want to go too modern so that it looks really out of place, though I also don't want to stick with really old looking furniture either. We're looking for a happy medium I guess- if that exists haha.

For the moment the only item we will need to purchase is a sofa,  a sectional sofa- "L" shape is what we would like. We've seen a few that are okay- but always open for suggestions so thank you Suzanna for the tips! I will have to look at those stores that you mentioned.

...forgot to mention another....Form in Birkirkara seem to have a mix of different styles.  Also there is a much bigger Orienta in Ta' Qali.

Ive pretty much exhausted all Maltese stores I think and was thinking of taking a day trip to Gozo....do you happen to know if thats worth it for buying bits for the house?

I actually haven't even made a trip over to Gozo yet, so I'm unsure as to how it would be for shopping and if it would be worth it. Sorry I can't be of help on that one.

Ok thanks, will give it a visit..should see Gozo anyway!!

Just a tip for furniture buyers in Malta...Never pay for anything in FULL even if they give you a great discount for it. I paid for a bedroom set in Full and waited a year and a half for the whole set to come...and in the end..I ended up getting  a whole different set because the one I ordered was discontinued. I had a similiar problem with a cooking hood and wall unit. I dunno know...I think since they have your money in their pocket...they dont care how long wait for your product. The best places to buy furniture are from places that have things in stock.

Thanks for the tip mgrima68, that is good to know!