A bit homesick

I like travel as much as the next person, but is there anyway to get over being homesick? 
I study the language and try to stay busy but I still feel a bit lost at times.

Welcome on board Jezebel ;)

I think the best way to overcome home sickness would be socializing, going out and stay busy (as you mentioned above)! We also have a discussion on Loneliness when you're abroad (Expatriate forum), you can have a look at it, and then share your views.

Regards

I think being homesick is part of being an expat and it sounds like you're getting out lots and meeting new people which is great.  If I've having a really bad day, I will ask a friend to tell me everything wrong where I used to live - they will tell me it's cold -25C, or that nothing is new, they haven't been anywhere, etc. and it makes me feel better since I think as expat it's easy to idealize our home country, and this helps to put everything in perspective for me.  Also, although I really do make an effort to speak German and make German friends, sometimes hanging out with other expats helps as well since at least you share a common language and culture.  Good luck!

For me if I got the feeling, I tend to go and hang out with my fellow countrymen/-women. Because sometimes just to spend time with them even only a while is much better than trying to hang around with the local people where you are right now. Of course in the case that you met them already in your new place. If not, then meeting up with other expats would help.

@SabrinaD: don't say so. I also haven't found any Indonesian expats around here, and I also just here for 3 weeks. If you want we can meet sometime in Cologne. I can feel what you've said. It's also difficult for me even when I was in Netherlands. I can tell since I'm a shy person as well :)

You shouls have a look to the Cologne expat network ;)

I am on week two myself, and realized today my sadness is probably home sickness. I literally have no one as of yet and it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep my chin up.... I think the worst part is having my new family (I am an au pair) insist I conform to their ways instead of accepting mine are different. If you figure out a way....please fill me in.

well...thank you all for your advice.  It was nice to hear from everyone and know that I am not the only one experiencing this homesickness.  I hear the first year is the hardest.  thank you all

well if you want to get together sometime and chat send me a message on here might just alleviate the homesickness