Cost of living

i am currently considering a contract with the Mauritian Government.

What they require from me is a salary package. i am married and have three kids ( age 12, 9 and 1 month old).  i am not sure about the costs of living and working in Mauritius.

I have been to Mauritius and worked there for one week, lived in Grand Bay, nice place to live in.

Can someone please help me costs of living so that i can determine my salary package.

Thanks for your assistance

Dan

Hi Dann,

for a family of 3, you can easily count 20,000 Rs for your rent (one or 2 months deposit)
renting a car for your family would cost 13-15,000 Rs (I've got a good contact for that if needed).

Phone bills / adsl 1650 rs
Mobile 225 rs

You can  find more info here: cost of living in Mauritius

Hi Julienne

Thank you for the information and thanks for a wonderful site. It is nice to talk to someone who is already living in mauritius and experience everything first hand.

I will keep in contact, I will be negotiating with the Government for a suitable salary package so that myself, wife and three kids would be able to live comfortably in Mauritius.

The offer for the vehicle, I will keep in contact for. If the are other contacts like places to let, please let me know.

Thanks
Regards
Dan

Where on the island would you like to live?

Hi Julien

I would like to live in Grand Bay or Troux aux Biches.

Would it be okay to travel from there to Port Louis and is it a safe area for the family although we will take the necessary precautions seing that we are from South Africa.

What about schools in these areas. If the kids need to travel to school, is there a good transport system.

Thanks

Regards
Dan

Yes the North area is safe. (Beware of burglars in certain cities such as Pereybere)

About the schools, you should have a look to this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6016