GETTING MARRIED IN MALAYSIA

Hi all

I am form Pakistan and have been living in Malaysia for a few years. I have a working permit here . My Fiancee is an American . We want to get married in Malaysia as she is planning to visit me for about 10 days.I would just like to know that if 2 foreigners of different nationalities can get married here and what would be the fastest and easiest way? As in to get married and get the marriage certificate . We both are Muslims....any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

We got married here in Malaysia and it was not an easy process. In 10 days you wont be able to do it. Once you have all certificates together from your home country you need them getting verified here in Malaysia. Then you have to get the local marriage certificate from the ministry of foreign affairs and then you have to go to ministry of internal affairs to get the marriage permission. After you have that you have to go to the registrar where you get an appointment for marriage and that needs to be done with a 3 weeks notice. So 10 days wont work. We are not moslems and maybe for moslems there is a short cut but honestly I doubt. And to get all paperwork together from our home countries was a lengthy process - took us about 3 month. You need a fresh birth certificate (not older than 3 month), you need a marriage certificate from your home country which says that you was never married and that you two are not related in first degree and if you was married before you need an notarized copy of your divorcement certificate. As my wife's country had no embassy here in Malaysia we had to get the papers apostilled by her embassy in Canberra, Australia. There is a lot of paperwork to collect and all documents needs to be double and tripple verified.

If your long term plan is to immigrate to the US I suggest your fiance check with US immigration regarding this question. I know of no reason that you can't get married here, and suspect there will be no issues with US immigration as long as one of you is a resident of Malaysia. It's a long story, but for some reason my ex-wife insisted that we marry in Thailand instead of Malaysia and US immigration refused to recognize the Thai certificate and we had to marry again in Malaysia. Their requirement at that time (20 years ago) was that at least one of us had to be a resident of Thailand to be married there.

ASTEG wrote:

We got married here in Malaysia and it was not an easy process. In 10 days you wont be able to do it. Once you have all certificates together from your home country you need them getting verified here in Malaysia. Then you have to get the local marriage certificate from the ministry of foreign affairs and then you have to go to ministry of internal affairs to get the marriage permission. After you have that you have to go to the registrar where you get an appointment for marriage and that needs to be done with a 3 weeks notice. So 10 days wont work. We are not moslems and maybe for moslems there is a short cut but honestly I doubt. And to get all paperwork together from our home countries was a lengthy process - took us about 3 month. You need a fresh birth certificate (not older than 3 month), you need a marriage certificate from your home country which says that you was never married and that you two are not related in first degree and if you was married before you need an notarized copy of your divorcement certificate. As my wife's country had no embassy here in Malaysia we had to get the papers apostilled by her embassy in Canberra, Australia. There is a lot of paperwork to collect and all documents needs to be double and tripple verified.

Maybe that's why my ex wanted to get married in Thailand first. That was a one day affair, but unfortunately not recognized by the US. I thought it was so she could divorced easier, I was her 4th husband and know that she had issues getting her 2nd marriage ended. Thus both her 3rd and 4th (to me) marriages were done in Thailand.

Thanks for the details mate. It seems like a hassle.  God I wish there was an easy way but i guess thats how it is here.anyway  I truly appreciate your help .plz do keep in touch .

Thank you so much for the info sir. well none of us is a resident of Malaysia. I am from Pakistan and she is an American. but is the marriage certificate of Malaysia recognized in the US ? I have to notarize it right?
warm regards

I do not think you have to notarized it - what you have to do is to register your marriage certificate with the US Embassy in Malaysia.

You don't have to do anything with the marriage certificate, just submit a copy of it when you apply for your US PR. But you're going to need a lot more than the marriage certificate to prove a genuine marriage. Emails, photos from holidays together, pictures of visiting each other's family and whatever you can come up with. I think we submitted 50 pages of evidence along with over 200 pictures with captions. All in a notebook with section dividers for each type.

You can consult with your embassy in KL as usually they know all the process & will help you .

Omar, are you doing this to gain entry to the US more easily? Have you been denied entry to the US already under a normal visa application? US frowns on foreign marriages because they cannot verify the papers especially if they are written in a foreign language. Marrying an american abroad is not the way. The correct way is that she starts you in the immigration process which takes about 2 years to get a Yes/No answer. If its yes, then they give you 90 days visa to US to marry there, then she has to sponsor you for 2 years during which time you cant work or leave. She has to show financial ability to take care of you. If you try to marry in Malaysia and then fly to US as a US married couple you will be stopped at the airport in US and forced to fly home. To answer one of your questions, US will not automatically recognize the marriage certificate. For that to happen, your new wife will have to begin the long task of importing you and the process will be nearly the same as importing you for marriage in US. US authorities always say, marry in US, not abroad--which is the hard, long way. If you think you can circumvent the problem by marrying outside, it wont work.  You can google for specific forums about this topic and join the discussion of people same as yourself and fiance. Try google your question "can i marry an american abroad and get a US visa?"

I wrote all that not knowing your situation so if Im wrong then why would she come to Malaysia to marry? If she going to try to live in Malaysia with you? What is your plan or idea here? Whats this all about?

And, like the others said its not easy to marry here either whether you are muslim or not. But, yes you can and couples do it all the time.  Problem is that the marriage may not be recognized anywhere but Malaysia. If you are marrying so that she can visit you in Malaysia without threat of khalwat, then Ok, proceed, but it takes time. Have you asked this to an Imam in a mosque? Have you been to a Pejabat Agama office to ask? Like others said, its a process and takes time and lots of papers and offices and running. Even if everything arranged I feel sure it cant be done in 10 days! I mean no disrespect to members here but this blog might not be the best place to ask. Get to a Pejabat Agama (muslim religious affairs authority) office and ask everything. If no help on these links, ask your Imam for the location of the nearest Pejabat Agama office.
http://www.islam.gov.my/http://www.jawi.gov.my/prkahwinan/borang-perkahwinanhttp://www.maik.gov.my/en