Close

U Visa . stage one complete. I have some questions. please help

i have just had my U visa supplement B signed by the law enforcement agency. now I have 6 months in which to file for the U visa waiting list, which I understand due to the cap could be years.

my questions.

I am legally in the USA on a b1/b2 and plan to travel back to the united kingdom to organize things there before returning with my wife and child to continue establishing my business in the USA.

1. I heard if I apply from here in the USA I cannot travel back to the UK. is this true?
2. if I travel back to the UK  and I apply there, will I be stuck in the UK until it is pre approved?
3. I also heard that this visa can be changed from a esta visa, (wife and Child), one of the only ones that can have change of status for the U category?

the enforcement agency believe I will have no problem of it being approved due to the seriousness of the crime.

ideally I would like to apply for the U visa from the USA with my family here, if indeed wed not be allowed to travel home.
I don't want to be stuck apart from them whilst waiting.

anyone have a clue as the best way of handling this. I would like to be here in the USA with my family whilst waiting legally.

many thanks

Moderated by kenjee last month
Reason : Recommend business professionals in our business directory please. No promotion is allowed on the forum.

thanks.. but I wont be out of status

he can help with any immigration issues

so does anyone know what happens when the status of b1/b2 expires in april?

nicklittle135 :

thanks.. but I wont be out of status

until april 2017

Best to consult with an immigration attorney.

Candice Hamant :

Best to consult with an immigration attorney.

In your profile, you claim to provide legal consultation.  Can't you offer some helpful insight here? :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Simple and basic questions can be answered in a forum such as this.  However, here, the questions are very specific to the petitioner and his situation, so a lot more information is needed. Hence, it's best to consult with an attorney. I have not done a U visa, but have done a lot of asylum cases.

What about immigrating through your business?

nicklittle135 :

i have just had my U visa supplement B signed by the law enforcement agency. now I have 6 months in which to file for the U visa waiting list, which I understand due to the cap could be years.

my questions.

I am legally in the USA on a b1/b2 and plan to travel back to the united kingdom to organize things there before returning with my wife and child to continue establishing my business in the USA.

1. I heard if I apply from here in the USA I cannot travel back to the UK. is this true?
2. if I travel back to the UK  and I apply there, will I be stuck in the UK until it is pre approved?
3. I also heard that this visa can be changed from a esta visa, (wife and Child), one of the only ones that can have change of status for the U category?

the enforcement agency believe I will have no problem of it being approved due to the seriousness of the crime.

ideally I would like to apply for the U visa from the USA with my family here, if indeed wed not be allowed to travel home.
I don't want to be stuck apart from them whilst waiting.

anyone have a clue as the best way of handling this. I would like to be here in the USA with my family whilst waiting legally.

many thanks

For your questions #1 and #2, check the following link:
Can I Travel Outside the U.S. With My Current or Pending U Visa?
Basically, if you wish to travel with a U visa you must apply for a re-entry permit that may not be granted. If you don't get that re-entry permit and travel outside, you may lose your U visa and won't be authorized back in.

For question #3, you spouse and children (called "derivatives" for a U visa) must be added to your U visa application. You must be married at the time of the application.
More info on U visa: U Visa Laws

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the USA

Flights to the USA

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the USA