Close

Professional networks for finding a job

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Vienna with my husband and I am search for work here, which is way more difficult than expected!

I am a lawyer by profession, but under South African jurisdiction and therefore my qualification is not recognized under Austrian and EU law. Long story short, it is highly unlikely that I can practice as an attorney in Vienna (I already tried all the standard law firms here).

I am therefore under no illusions that I would have to again start under in a different career. At least I think a lot of my legal background, administrative and client relationship skills would be useful in a new career.

However, it seems to be extremely difficult to get a break here. I have tried all the stock standard answers of trying the UN; its difficult to get in there if you do not have an inside lane and they take forever to even get back to you.

I have tried AMS and other recruiters and they are pretty useless.

I have tried most international companies, networked extensively on Xing and LinkedIn, but that has also not yet paid off.

I have tried EURES, Monster and other job portals.

I have a Rot-Weiss-Rot Karte, so a company would not have to sponsor me.

My German is not particularly great, but I am working on improving that.

So my questions to you:

- Is the job market really so tough at the moment in Vienna, or am I missing something?
- Do anyone maybe know of some other professional network I can use to get in contact with?
- Do you guys maybe have some other tips for trying to find a job?

Thanks in advance!

Expatriate health insurance in Vienna

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vienna

Moving to Vienna

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vienna

Travel insurance in Vienna

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vienna

Flights to Vienna

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vienna