The Chicago Cubs In Baseball's 2016 World Series

The Chicago Cubs have reached the World Series for the first time since 1945.

Down two games to one on the road in Los Angeles and having been shut out for more than 20 consecutive innings by Dodger pitching, the Cubs roared back to win three games in a row to take the National League Championship Series, outscoring L.A. by a total of 23 runs to six in Games 4.. 5 and 6.

Cubs starter Kyle Hendricks (7-1/3 innings) pitched his best game of the year, allowing just two hits, to earn the win in the 5-0 Game 6 clincher.  The Dodgers were so dominated, they couldn't get a runner past first base.  The few runners they had were erased from the base-paths on a successful pickoff attempt and three Cubs double plays.

Cubs first-baseman Anthony Rizzo broke out of a hitless personal drought at Wrigley Field to homer, off Clayton Kershaw, and double as the Chicago hitting star of the night.

The Cubs will attempt to completely erase the supposed curse that has kept them from winning a World Series in 108 years -- do you know the Steve Bartman story? -- starting Tuesday night (10/25/2016) on the road versus the Cleveland Indians.

cccmedia

Cubs usually denotes young animals.
The rest of your post looks like it is about some kind of sports game, but it doesn't say which.
As it stands now, the post makes no sense unless the reader is an insider.
Could you please correct that or explain?
Thanks for your understanding.

I thought everybody knew that the World Series is the Fall Classic of Major League Baseball.

After all, it is the World Series. ;) 

Could be it's less well-known in places such as Germany and Singapore than I had thought.

I'll add the word baseball in the thread title.

The Expat Sports Desk regrets any confusion caused by the initial post.

-- cccmedia in baseball-mad Latin America

"Baseball World Series" is as much an oxymoron as "Sumo World Championship" (Yes, there are a handful of fat wrestlers from Hawaii and Mongolia, but they never win!). The game is uncommon outside of the USA sphere of influence - and may even be despised in some parts of the Commonwealth, where its predecessor Cricket reigns supreme.
In any case, now that I know what you're talking about I'll unsubscribe from the thread and ask for forgiveness.

beppi wrote:

The game is uncommon outside of the USA sphere of influence....

In any case, now that I know what you're talking about I'll unsubscribe from the thread and ask for forgiveness.

All is forgiven.  No blood, no foul.

FYI, a high percentage of Major League baseball players are from the Caribbean countries / Central America and MLB is extremely popular in those places.

cccmedia

After splitting Games 1 and 2 in Cleveland, the Cubs returned to the friendly confines of Wrigley Field in Chicago.

They then proceeded to break their fans' hearts once again, losing 1-0 due to shutout pitching by four Indians pitchers and an RBI single by an obscure Cleveland pinch-hitter named Coco Crisp.

The Cubs were blanked for the second time in three games.  They stranded the potential tying and winning runs in scoring position in the ninth inning.

The Cubs' bright spot was Bill Murray during the seventh-inning stretch leading the fans in a Daffy Duck-inspired performance of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”

cccmedia

In danger of being swept in all three games at Wrigley Field, the Cubs put together multiple hits for an early three-run inning .. and then held off the Indians, 3-2 in Game 5, to cut the Chicago deficit in games to 2-3.

Cubs closer Aroldis Chapman came out of the bullpen earlier than usual and recorded the last eight outs in a brilliant performance showcasing his 100-plus miles-an-hour fastball.

The historic win was the Cubs' first at Wrigley in a World Series since 1945 when they lost -- four games to three -- to Detroit.

They'll send their Cy Young Award winner, Jake Arrieta, to the mound in Game 6 at Cleveland.  He won Game 2 there, which the Cubs took, 5 to 1.

cccmedia

Facing a second elimination game, the Cubs' hitting came alive on a warm November evening in Cleveland in Game 6.  They won easily, 9-3.

The Cubs hit three home runs.  22-year-old infielder Addison Russell knocked in six runs by the third inning on a Texas League-style double and a grand slam home run.  It was the first World Series grand slam in 11 years .. and Russell is the second youngest hitter in Series history to hit one (Mickey Mantle, 1953).

This sets up a deciding Game 7 in Cleveland tonight (11/2/2016).  A long World Series drought will end for one team.  The Cubs last won the Series in 1908 ... the Indians in 1948.

Hendricks versus Kluber for all the marbles.

cccmedia

beppi wrote:

"Baseball World Series" is as much an oxymoron as "Sumo World Championship" (Yes, there are a handful of fat wrestlers from Hawaii and Mongolia, but they never win!). The game is uncommon outside of the USA sphere of influence - and may even be despised in some parts of the Commonwealth, where its predecessor Cricket reigns supreme.

Are you kidding Beppi??

Baseball is present and popular all over North and Central American countries, and also Japan, S. Korea, Australia as well as others.  Players from all over the world play for MLB teams.  Indeed you should inform yourself better.

The Cubs and Indians played an extra-inning thriller in Cleveland in Game Seven that decided the championship of Major League Baseball.

The Cubs were cruising, 6-3 in the bottom of the eighth inning, when their relief pitching gave out.  Rajai Davis's two-run homer just inside the left-field foul pole capped the scoring in that inning for Cleveland with the game now at 6-6.

After a rain delay following the ninth inning, both teams would score in the tenth.

Ben Zobrist and Miguel Montero had hits driving in a run apiece for the Cubs to give them an 8-6 lead.  The Indians scored in the bottom of the tenth, but the single run was not enough, and the Cubs won, 8-7.

Zobrist, who won a World Series title with Kansas City a year ago, was named Series MVP for 2016.  He had only three runs batted in, though that included a crucial tenth-inning double in Game 7.  Zobrist could theoretically have shared the award with Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta, who won his two starts in Cleveland in Games 2 and 6.

The Cubs hit three home runs in the finale, adding to their 21st century legacy .. and putting a lid on their 108-year drought between World Series titles. Their baseball drought had dated back to a World Series victory over the Detroit Tigers in 1908.

Cleveland sports fans will have to be content with their recent NBA title and the fact that the city hosted a national political convention this year -- the one that produced presidential nominee Donald R. Trump.  The Indians last won a World Series in 1948.

cccmedia

Meet expats all over the world

OR