Pros and cons of srilanka

Hello there...

I am moving to SL myself in July...after alot of thought I have decided that I need a relaxed life in comparison to the hectic life style I have at the moment in UK. I have not lived in SL for over 13 years and I do feel quite apprehensive about moving back and working with the locals as I have been told that the working environment is quite different to the one in UK...

So feel free to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss about the pros and cons of srilanka.... I actually look forward to move down there... :)

Hello lankangirl ;)

Your post has been introduced in a new thread for better visibility; this will then increase your chance in obtaining more responses & reactions.

Regards

You're welcome!
and good luck with your plans.. :)

Sean

Well of course it's going to be different, but you're going to enjoy it.. at least it isn't so much so as far as the ‘grey skies' are concern!! ‘Mr. Sunshine' isn't too shy as much as in the UK!

So enjoy your relocation!

Laura

Thanx Laura...

One thing that I will definitely NOT be missing is the UK weather... I am feeling quite nervous about the move as I have NEVER worked in Srilanka and I need to start making friends down there as most of my school mates have migrated abroad... as much as I am excited I am also feeling anxious about quite a few things, especially about driving on the local roads :S

Take my word for it, driving in Sri Lanka can be exciting. Pedestrians and fellow motorists alike can be very unpredictable. I've never driven out there but being a passenger was stressful to say the least. Traffic is bad, the road rules aren't adhered to and it's a free for all at times even with the police in plain sight.

Couldn't agree with you more on that Mary..! Absolutely spot-on!

lol Mary.... exciting is not the word I would be using...I have been in quite a few near death experiences while being a passenger in Srilanka. Have you ever travelled in a 3 wheeler (auto)? The unpredictability is what scares me the most... Wonder if I will have the confidence to drive down there...

Yes I have and that was worse than the roller coaster at six flags. But I do think it's rather novel when being in one for the first time. the novelty wore off real quick. :)

believe no need to worry abt driving, onlything u have to care abt 3-wheelers and private buses, within a very short period of time u will get used to it.... be patient then u will enjoy

But what's very exciting for me in SL is rding with an elephant. I can't forget the experience. Anyways, good luck for you.

Lol true... elephant rides are a novelty I guess... thank you for ur wishes... I am counting the days and getting more anxious as the time goes by :s

Indeed, Elephants were a novel diversion from all the beaches.

@:Mary... for how long did you stay/live in Srilanka?

Hi! I used to come and visit often along with my husband. Since we had our son last year we are yet to visit. Now that he's of a more manageable age we plan on coming in March this year. No, never lived out there for longer than 2 months. Its undoubtedly the home away from home we always wanted.

The biggest pro would be the fact that everythings close by. it takes a 2 hour drive from the city  to some fantastic beaches.the biggest con would be the roads and public transport..

Roads are getting better, lot of construction but still it may take bit longer to develop public transportation :(

Whats there to do at nights in SL?? Coming in about 6 weeks, well plan to.

wat about schools ? We are looking at Grades 1 and 6 for our kids, currently studying under ICSE board in India. Which are the gud schools in Colombo?

Hello vanda03,

I think you are offtopic in this thread. May be you shall start a new discussion about "School in Colombo"!

Regards

I am new to Colombo and looking for things to do in the evening. Any suggestions? Does anyone want to meet up and talk about SL and the world in general?
Philip

Hi there,
I am considering moving to SL and start living there after a 10 days visit I had in March and enjoyed the life there as a tourist. Could you please let me know the most serious parts I should know for living ther such as finding a job, basic expenses and etc.

BR,
Roham

I am actually here now to start my contract and looking for a place in Negombo or Colombo, work will be based at the Airport BIA so maybe Negombo would better to live at. Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Phil

if u planning to live alone , negombo will be ideal , near beach road you may find a place for around 2504 + USD but if u move closer to BIA you will be able to find a better place , after all hotels pubs and everything is so easy in negombo

Hi,,its grate working in srilanka,,don't worry u can do it,,it all up to you and also we are here for you,