Residency on Isla Mujeres

Hi there

We're from Australia, looking to relocate in a few years.
Looking to speak to anyone who comes from an English speaking country to see how you go about applying for permanent residency.  As our children are older we would love to spend some time on the island (say 6 months of the year) and head back to Australia (for 6 months of the year).  Any ideas on how the residency works?

Also, my husband is from the UK and holds a british passport (resident of Australia now but only by marriage).  If we are going between Isla and Australia, would  he need to become a citizen of Australia to gain entry back to the country?  Any ideas on who I can speak to about this?

Will be looking for work just to cover rent and basic living expenses.  Would love an idea of how expensive things are on the island as well.

I can't see anything bad that I need to be aware of on the island. Anything we should be aware of?
The only thing that I think I might have some trouble with is access to money if I have Australian Dollars.

If anyone can give us some insight that would be great.

Cheers in advance - Michelle

A Tourist Permit will give you 180 days before having to leave the country. That seems to satisfy one requirement.

As for work, the answer is not without a work permit. Those are given with a Residencia Visa which you must apply for in your home country.

A debit or credit card from your bank in Australia will give you access to Pesos through an ATM machine. Make sure your bank knows that you're in Mexico else they could freeze the card.

New topic

Questions and answers about Mexico

Ask your question
Are you happy in Mexico?
By Priscilla
Moving to Mexico with a Cat and no Car
By nikolas4squid
Bicycle John
Shipping a small amount of household goods to SMA
By Bicycle John
When you move, what do you need to pack?
By Debibax

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mexico

Flights to Mexico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mexico