schools for kids

Hello, we are currently looking to move to Cuenca the end of January 2017. So I only have a few months to get everything in order. My major concern is the school situation for my children. I have 2 girls ages 6 and 12. The oldest will be going into the 8th grade and the youngest 1st grade. I have already decided that we will finish our current grades via home schooling in order to be ready for the next school year in March. But I am concerned about finding good schools for them to attend.  We will be doing private Spanish lessons upon arrival but I doubt they will be fluent enough for school. My question is, where do your children go to school at? Will they work with them on learning the language? What is the best way to handle it all? I really want them to attend a school and experience the culture.

Thanks for your information.

The little one should not be an issue at all because the load and pressure won't be as intense.

Your 12 year old, well, you should probably think about a plan B for home instruction. Just be realistic, in 8th grade students here like your home country are writing full page compositions or essays. They also take literature in that grade. I think it's too much for a 12 year old kid to transition too, and not too long ago an Ecuadorean from I think Texas detailed the hard time her oldest kid was having in school, a kid who basically went from straight "A's to failing.

Your 12 year old is one year away from high school. She will be in a critical grade and you're going to turn her life upside down if you don't find an English curriculum school.
I understand completely that you want her to experience school and culture. But in my opinion have a plan B, because doing 8th grade in a Spanish curriculum might not be in your daughter's best interest.

I am basing my above information on the assumption that your kids are not Spanish speakers.

You are correct in your assumption that we are not Spanish speakers. I wonder if she could go to a public school for the socialization and home school for the curriculum.

lno545s :

You are correct in your assumption that we are not Spanish speakers. I wonder if she could go to a public school for the socialization and home school for the curriculum.

Once you receive your residency your children by law will be treated like Ecuadorean minors. So you can enroll them if you wish in public schools. As for the intricacies I don’t have that information, and by intricacies I mean something like Spanish as a second language or other programs to help them transition.

Explore all your options for your oldest kid, such as CEDEI, and other educational institutes that expat children enroll in.

My understanding is that CEDEI is cost-friendly and nothing like the costs of international schools in Quito and Guayaquil.

Questions and answers about school and studies

Ask your question
Anyone teaching English in Cuenca?
By makeabreak
home school groups
By ChowBella
Looking for some good spots to study and chill
By msantiago1256
Anyone know Andean Global Studies?
By hacke44

Expatriate health insurance in Cuenca

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cuenca