Changing banks in Panamá

Hello all

I thought I found a good bank which is the Credicorp bank but that was a very wrong thought.
It's reliable yes and they won't steal yr money but the service is terrible and since I am having a house built and the money transfers come in euros one wants to receive ones money transfer within at the most 10 days!
Anyway the last transfer got lost and it took 3 weeks to find out where it got stuck. My bank in Europe did everything to recover it.
At the Credicorp bank they shrugged and said "we received it and sent it back because we don't receive euros anymore".
So my question was of course " why don't you inform yr clients about this new rule? "
They said they didn't know. .
Anyway now considering the Banco General or Scotia Bank.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Banco General seems to be well spoken of, and seems to be used by a lot of companies. I have an account at Scotia Bank and have been happy, but I'm not trying to do business or exchange euros so I don't know how they would work out for you.

I've been making international wire transfers to accounts at Banco General and *so far* the funds have been received within days (hopefully it's going to continue this way).

That said, I've always made them in USD. Usually the sending bank allows to chose the currency in which the money should be transferred into.

Thank you Kristc and Adriano. What bothered me most was the abcense of information. I could have changed my euros first and then transfer in US dollars. No problem at all. But I think they could and should have informed their clients about the change of rules. And they never did. And on top of that telling me they didn't know where the money was..that's not what you expect from a Bank

When it comes to bank here you'll have to lower your expectations. The online services for most of them are way below what one comes to expect these days from a bank, and they charge fees even for debit cards.

Questions and answers about the banking system

Ask your question
Bocas Investment Opp...Good Idea or No?
By holisticdoc
Best / recommended banks in Panama?
By adriano72
Steven Rich MBA
By Steven Rich MBA
By gmlogmd
By gmlogmd
Finding the best Banks in Panama ?
By wannamovetopanama