ENGLISH MAN WANTING TO MOVE TO MALTA IN THE SUMMER

Hi there im looking to move to malta in the summer im going to take 2.000 pounds with me to cover 3 month stay , ive already been for a holiday and hav been told it is fairly easy to find work , is this true if not i will not move over there pleasssseeee help as i would love to move over . jobs i would be willing to do is bar work, waiter, call centre retail

much thanks chris budding.

Now seems to be a bad time of year for anything as far as the jobs you are looking for but it is getting better now that the holidays are over.   I'd keep an eye on the classifieds timesofmalta.com/classifieds and go from there.

most companies start hiring around march or april to gear up for the tourist season, and I expect jobs will be easier to come by then.

Chad

cheers chad i will keep an eye on that , as a say it wont b till summer ill i go :)

all will be fine for work during the summer, bar work is plentiful, hsbc also have a large english speaking call centre here and recruit regularly

good luck

hi thanks for response , i went for an interview for hsbc but wasent told about 2 tests which i failed due to no preperation , i was angry to say the least , but now i have a taste for malta and meet some friends i reallllllyyyyy want to come back out to live but need a job with at least 30 hours either doing call centre bar work or waiter , just want to no will it be worth quitting a job in the uk to come out 2 find work , more post the better :)

thank youuuuuuuuuuxx

Did you do the tests in Malta or did they phone you at home - therefore no preparation - bummer! They could have warned you.

I'm sure you will find work in summer - there are usually masses of classifieds looking for hospitality/food people. I tracked them last summer but not applied as last year was not been right for me.

dident get told untill i got to hsbc , got there ad a tour of the building , then got told i had 2 tests B4 THE INTERVIEW which i flew out 4 , SO PEOPLE B WARNED  , i thought malta was brillent friendly people , ive got 3 months 2 find a job to let me stay there do you think this will be enough time i realllly dont want to go back to the uk jobless

thanks for the postssssss

3 months, and you are coming down in the summer and looking for bar work.  Yeah you should be fine.  walk through paceville with a handful of resume's march through july and You'll find something..

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for your plans.

I'm a bit more cautious with my judgement on the job situation unless you are only looking for work over the summer. After October it will not be so easy but it all depends on this years tourism season.

The main problem I see is getting a decently paid job.It seems to be difficult finding a job that pays much more than the minimal wage which is 4,75 € /hour for part time and about 150 €/week full-time.

That could mean being paid around 600-700€/month minus NI contributions plus tips or extras.

I myself had a job offer last week from a Swedish IT company looking for a content manager with  perfect German language skills of only 3,96 € which they increased to 5 € when I said no. And I still said no.

Expect to pay rent around 300 €/month for a small place. So when signing a lease you already pay 750 € (300 rent + 300 deposit + 150 for agent). Utilities and TV /internet/phone could be around 50 -80 € /month depending on your usage.

I guess it's worth a try and , as Chad said, for the summer you should be fine.

Cheers
Ricky

cheers ricky great help , do you think this is a good plan , stay for 3 months with the intention of staying , go round paceville with loads of cv's for bar work , hopfully get a bar job to keep me there , untill a call centre posistion apears and try and get that as i have 3 years experience ?????????

cheers

Hi Ricky, hope all well with you both...

Im shocked at them offering only 5 euros an hour for such a job especially one that necessitates a second language...my cleaner charges me 6 euros!!!:/

Hi Suzanna,

I'm fine ! We are in Frankfurt staying in a wonderful arabic-style hotel called Villa Oriental and just got back from a nice Persian meal -))))

A lot better than slaving for 5 €/hour.

Will be back on Saturday and might start working as a cleaner !

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky, sounds like you are both having a fab time....Ive got good news...I got that wrong...Ive just remembered I actually pay her 7 euros!!!!!!   

Looking forward to catching when Im back :)

In theory your cleaner is self employed, and so is responsible for paying national insurance on the rate you pay her, so should be paid more than a cleaner employed by a company. If you took a cleaner though a company they may well pay ber € 5, but charge you € 7 or more to cover overheads etc.

I'm sure like all good Maltese citizens, your cleaner declares her income.....

Im sure she does!!! ha ha ha but surely Rickys offer was pre national insurance too................therefore the cleaner still gets paid way more especially if you consider the 'importance' of her job!

Self employed pay about double national insurance, as for employed person the employer pays half