Setting up a IT outsourcing company in Sri Lanka - advice

Hi,

I am considering relocating to Sri Lanka and setting up a IT outsourcing in Colombo and would appreciate some help answering a few questions:

1) Will I have trouble finding skilled and experienced web developers (Flash, HTML and JavaScript)?  What is the average salary of a Sri Lankan web developer?

2) What is the average (or reliable source) rent for office space in Columbo (1000 sq ft)?

3) Where can I go/who do I contact to find out what incentives ( tax breaks etc.) are available to companies investing in Sri Lanka?

4) What is the average weekly working hours for IT professionals?

5) Will I have trouble finding a technical lead/Snr developer?

6) Will I have trouble finding digital designers?

I have found a few government sites, but not 100% sure they're accurate/up to date, so any help or guidance much appreciated.

Regards,
Richard

Hello Richard,
BPO industry is thriving in Sri Lanka as for many reasons such as availability of skilled/ suitable labour, suitable telecom infrastructure plus government incentives and encouragement and other support services for same. However, firstly as a BPO/ corporate consulting expert, I would suggest you could apply and obtain Board of Investment (BOI) approval for such project/ business which you as a business entity could gain immense tax breaks and corporate incentives as for your foreign direct investment; which would be no doubt a boost not only for your investment but also on a business view; in setting up and on a long term corporate perspective.

If you need to go in to details or further assistance, feel free to get in touch with me, would be happy to guide you through on same.
Best regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply and help.

I would very much like to understand the process and subsequent costs etc., and would be very keen on discussing further with you.

Let me know what works for you.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,
No worries and you're welcome. Yeah sure of course, certainly we could discuss it further in detail on the process, the procedures and the relevant costs etc.
You may send me a message and I'll reply to it with my email and contact details and we could take it over from there.
Look forward to discuss in detail.
Regards,

Sean

Richard,
I am living in London progressing through a plan for doing the same. Please call me on (+44) 07940 535850 (UK) for a chat.

thanks
Yas

Hi Richard,

Have you found a partner ner proced with your matter, to openup an IT outsourcing company in Sri Lanka. Am I too late... ? Please reply.

Thanks
Tikiri

Hi,

Your questions:

1) Will I have trouble finding skilled and experienced web developers (Flash, HTML and JavaScript)?  What is the average salary of a Sri Lankan web developer?

There are lot of experienced web developers you can find very easily. Salary will be base on experienced 400us to 1200us 

2) What is the average (or reliable source) rent for office space in Columbo (1000 sq ft)?
This will be vary according to the condition and the colombo area about 600us to 2000 us

3) Where can I go/who do I contact to find out what incentives ( tax breaks etc.) are available to companies investing in Sri Lanka?
You can contact our BOI(Board of Investment of Sri Lanka) www.boi.lk

4) What is the average weekly working hours for IT professionals?
45 hrs

5) Will I have trouble finding a technical lead/Snr developer?
Not at all

6) Will I have trouble finding digital designers?
not at all

Your are welcome to Invest in Sri Lanka Richard there are lot of skilled people you can find without any problam if you have any help you can send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Regards,

Lalith

Lalith