Michaela Harte

Hi

I work for the BBC in Northern Ireland and we have been covering the tragic news of the death of Michaela Harte.  The Mauritius police have been speaking to us about the murder suspects, and I wanted to move the story on as to how the local irish community in Mauritius have been dealing with the news.  We are trying to get in touch with an irish pub, and possibly speak to some of the irish community, who is a GAA fan and would have known Micky Hartes (Dad) involvement in the Tyrone GAA.  And/or just to speak to someone to get a feel of the atmosphere on the ground.

My contact number is 00 44 77 656 011 52 or 0044 28 90 338 654 or email: [email protected].

Welcome to the forum sharms91,

I have moved your discussion to the Mauritius forum for effective communication & networking.

You can also contact some Irish directly via the Irish expatriates in Mauritius network page.

Warm Greetings,
Expat-Blog Team

This honeymoon muder is a disgrace for the Island.
A 4 1/2 star hotel should be a place where you can feel safe and enjoy your vacation peacefully.
Mauritius has won the 2010 Honeymoon award for being the best honeymoon destination in the world.
Many questions can be raised by this tragic event.
The main question is how hotel staffs are hired and what kind of training do they receive?
Do we check their background or police record?

These employees had no police record and came from the same villages as nearly all the other hotel employees in the north.

Hotel training in the hotels in Mauritius is fairly rigorous and the quality of service is part of the reason people come here on high class holidays.

This is a very unfortunate case where two guys acted on the spur of the moment without thinking. No amount of background checks or training could have stopped it. It has never happened before and I think it's unlikely to again.

What is the solution? Improve education? Better pay? The jury is out....

what happened is really sad. But i believe that the law of employment in Mauritius does not value manual workers. those people are not respected for the job they are doing. they should be respected by being given a better salary. And i think that they would not be tempted to do wrong in order to earn if they were better paid. Mauritius is a country where there is a lot of injustice and inequality for those manual workers.

markdc wrote:

These employees had no police record and came from the same villages as nearly all the other hotel employees in the north.

Hotel training in the hotels in Mauritius is fairly rigorous and the quality of service is part of the reason people come here on high class holidays.

This is a very unfortunate case where two guys acted on the spur of the moment without thinking. No amount of background checks or training could have stopped it. It has never happened before and I think it's unlikely to again.

What is the solution? Improve education? Better pay? The jury is out....

I don't agree with you. One of the culprit involved in this killing has been fired from another hotel for repeated thefts.
Why has he been hired again in a 5 star hotel ?
See Defiplus newspaper.

Its a shame of what happen. Right now there are many Mauritians in Dublin who are paying for this horrendous act.
Students are being refuse admission in colleges or visa are being refuse for simple reasons.
And what a shame when people ask you where you from and when you replied Mauritius, the first thing they say is it not that place where Michaela Hart was murdered. Well the island just got famous for murder.
You can pay some1 6000,10000,50000, if that person steal once, they will steal twice.
Background and morality check must be done for every newly hired employee. But employees are hard to find in this industry due to low wage so background check are rarely done as long as you can fill the position.
Tourist also should not carry large amount of money with them, that why banks have ATMs. Charges you 4-5 Eur for every Rs10,000. Might help to save a life in the future.
Pay your hotel with your credit card.
As per a previous post markdc said it never happend and wont happen again. I would say this is wrong.
Bhoomeshwar Chauhun, indian immigrant worker, was mudered like 1 month ago. This did not get the media coverage as the Michaela Harte case. Why? He was indian? He was just a worker here? He was not the son of Micky Harte.
Things like that happen in mauritius but people will only remember those covered by BBC, who cares about an indian worker. But indian workers are those who work late in factories and run the economy. Find a mauritian who will do a double shift for 2-3 time a week for a wage of 10,000-12,000 per month.
On this note let me pay my respect to all the families for who a daughter, a son, a brother, a sister have been mudered in this country.

This news story about Michaela Harte McGreavey is so very sad on many levels. To murder someone is a SIN and not to be taken lightly. The fact that she had just gotten married and was paying alot of money (which is what keeps employees employed!!)for her honeymoon to stay at this resort is just phat is pitiful.
RESPECT for another 'human being' would have stopped this from occuring. My condolences to the Harte family and the new husband, whose world has been shattered by ' a wanton crime'.
Also, the fact that her father and husband were involved in professional sports and she was a professional educator has no bearing on this, This was SIN and the perpetrators are old enough to beaware of civilty & deserve to be punished to the fullest.