Car Insurance

My wife and I are moving to Budapest from Denmark in November.
Just for budget purposes can anyone give me an idea of prices for car insurance
Liability per year
Comprehensive per year
We have two cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso year 2014
Chrysler 300C year 2006
Thanks
Leif

glensgaard wrote:

My wife and I are moving to Budapest from Denmark in November.
Just for budget purposes can anyone give me an idea of prices for car insurance
Liability per year
Comprehensive per year
We have two cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso year 2014
Chrysler 300C year 2006
Thanks
Leif

I cannot tell you the price of insurance but any no-claims discount should be usable.   I can guess that it would be about EUR 500-600 per vehicle. 

They don't seem to have comprehensive "all risks" car insurance.  This has been a major annoyance for me personally.  One has to buy each type of risk individually.  I've still not got to the bottom of what we are actually covered for.  Even the most obvious things like theft or fire have to be checked for cover.  The basic cover might be cheap but it's only 3rd party.   

You might find it quite difficult to import your vehicles as they government is very awkward about car imports and has in the past been under threats from the EU for over taxing cars.  If your employer is giving you a package, they should take care of it for you.

One important thing to note regarding insurance is that the Hungarian police can now (on their handheld terminals) see if foreign registered cars are insured.  They cannot tell who is named on the insurance but they can tell if the foreign car is insured in general.   

You can drive you Danish car in theory for 6 months but in practice you can get away with it for much longer.  They do however target foreign cars regularly.

Thank you for you help
LG

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services and sharing of contact infos not allowed on the forum.

I like Jim Kingston's answer.
We once shipped a fairly new Audi 5000 to HU from Cal.
Sent several cars over in the very early 90's to resell here.
We kept that car for ourselves to use when on holiday in HU.
It was broken into in broad daylight on King St. in the 7th district.
They got into the car, were not able to start it or unlock the security device on the wheel. They tried hard though, sort of messed up the steering wheel.
Later we bought a nice used red BMW which actually drew a bit too much attention from would be "punks'.
Now we have a old person style Toyota which we bought for under $2,000. cash money. Not flashy but runs good.
Only have the min. insurance on it.
No worries , if it doesn't pass the safety checks next time, we will just lower the price to someone who wants to deal with fixing anything.
So far the car has been a charm.
Most flats do not come with parking so parking on the street can be a worry if you have a really nice car.
Our neighbor uses the underground parking  just down the street from the house. I think he pays more then $250. a month for each of the two cars he has inside there.
Not even going to ask how he can afford that when he has no job?!
Hmmm...