Are you happy in Morocco?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Morocco? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Morocco happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Let me start by saying:
Happiness in life is a matter of personal choice based on the culture each of us live our life. Some cultures either encourage or discourage their people about what choice is available. Life is often a difficult struggle or even a series of unfair events for most people no matter where they live. How each person chooses to react to those things reflects in that person's individual happiness about life. How the majority of the individuals feel about their own life marks the concept of happiness for the entire culture. is textbook sociology rhetoric.

I am an American expat. So I am looking at Moroccan life from my somewhat negative American cultural bias.

As a whole, I see that most Moroccan people who are living in their homeland as willing to choose happiness.
I say it like that because I have met Moroccans who live outside of Morocco and I can see a slightly different attitude emerge within them based on the cultural influences of their adopted land. But I suppose that is a true statement of all of us Expats.

Daily, in Marrakech, I see people strive to over come adversities within life. For the most part most Moroccans live at a standard that most Americans consider significantly impoverished.  Many people observing this might expect this fact to be conducive to a miserable way of life. As a whole, it is not. Of course there are always those who prefer to wear their suffering as a badge of courage. As I noted above, there are a few Moroccans who eagerly strive to get out of Morocco by any means possible because of the poverty. Yet, most Moroccans choose a different course in life.  They choose to be happy.

Hospitality is an easy mark of happiness in a culture. In Morocco hospitality is paramount even among those who seem to have nothing to share. Moroccans  often get together to celebrate the smallest joys in life. The oppertunity to sit with a cup of tea and talk, laugh, sing, or dance is warmly welcomed by most in this culturally rich part of the world. They strive to find happiness in the face of adversity.

This may seem a bit off topic, but I will try to relate it as best as I can. Here is an example of what I mean by happiness in the face of adversity.

A few years ago I was witness to a public protest in Marrakech over some rather significant issue with the public utilities.  At the time many other places in the world were experiencing similar public protests for a wide variety of reasons.  It was not surprising to see something like it happen in my adopted home of Marrakech too. What did surprise me was how the protest was conducted by the Moroccan people and the response of the authorities. 

It all started as most would expect in the morning as a very large group of people  with signs marching and souting in the street. All the while there were heavily armed police making their presence know to all.  By mid afternoon other ordinary people were offering bread, dates, and tea to the protesters (and to the police). By evening the protesters had changed from marching and shouting into dancing and (happily) singing songs about their protesting. The police were still calmly standing by in full riot gear.  Many protesters then slept in the street as others wandered off home to terurn the next day. It went on for a few day like this.....everyone being loud and agitated in the morning and later changing to a more festival mood at night.  As expected a few radical protesters (and a few fueled by drugs /alcohol) found themselves into trouble with the police. As expected, a few criminals snuck into the mix and took the opportunity of the protest to do naughty things (most were eventually arrested). But, for the most part, the majority of the ordinary Moroccan people who were involved in this protest over a very serious public issue chose to do so with peace and happiness.

In the end, compromises were reached within the government and life continued on.  It could have gone quite differently as it did in other places of the world where similar protests had erupted.

Yes, I believe Moroccans are Happy.
Moroccan culture is about good people enjoying living and seeking a spiritual peace in daily life no matter what struggle is present.

thanks for the sharing. may mighty Allah show mercy on all us and bless our life with happiness. amin

Questions and answers about Morocco

Ask your question
Abdullah abu anas
Moroccan Arabic "darija"
By Abdullah abu anas
Learn moroccan or arabic standard on the center
By Laplace22
Teacher Required for Classical Arabic in Rabat
By Nicholas2016
Looking to meet English Speaking people
By Adam07
Transfer money from morocco to Usa
By Fafriade
Swimming pool, afordable places for fitness/yoga etc...
By tatianadelavedova

Expatriate health insurance in Morocco

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Morocco

Moving to Morocco

Find tips from professionals about moving to Morocco

Travel insurance in Morocco

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Morocco

Flights to Morocco

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Morocco