Definitely want to move to PR

Hi, I am sure I want to move to PR...but am having little luck finding a federal job.  I have a federal job now.

I would consider a reduced income..how easy is it to get a job with the hotels on the island...should I just email those in the area I am looking at?

I have visited this past summer.  My family stayed in Rio Grande...

Hi PeachSonria, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi! I am from Atlanta also. Do you speak Spanish? Jobs are pretty hard to come by here, especially if you are not bi-lingual. Not sure about hotels, but Federal jobs are very competitive, especially since Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens as well and can apply for those jobs, it gives them an advantage over expats. I have been trying to get a job at a Dept. of Defense school and it is very hard. It seems like they already have people lined up for them as soon as the post and open up. Good luck!

Thanks sunkissed for the insight.  Yes, I speak Spanish. Not fully bilingual, but I guess at an intermediate to low advanced level.  We attend a Spanish church here in Decatur to stay in practice.

And, I guess I will keep applying for the few jobs that open up, and just keep my fingers crossed. 

Although, many friends keep reminding me that the school system is not so great..and I have two elementary age kids.  But, I wonder if the school systems could really be that bad...

Anyone have any first-hand experience with the school system in PR?

My wife is from Mayaguez and has a 24 year old daughter from a previous marriage. She says the public schools in PR are very bad. You would also be hard pressed to find one that speaks English at all. Except for a brief period she had her daughter in private school. I would also recommend doing the same. Just do your research. Not all private schools are created equal. We have an 8 year old daughter and have lined up a bilingual private school in Anasco when we go down in the next month or two. It's an interesting school. You can see it at masispr.org . Good luck.

Gregg

Yes, unfortunately, the public (and many private) schools really are as bad as they say. The only realistic chance of gainful employment for an ex-pat is to be self-employed or to work as a waiter in Viejo San Juan. Many ex-pats volunteer for Save a Gato, Save a Sato, etc., because they cannot get a regular job beyond being a server/bartender/waiter. (There are opportunities for the entrepreneurial-minded, however.) I know that sounds bleak but it's best to know before arriving.

Totally agree with all the other members' comments. There are opportunities for those willing to start their own business, although I have heard that any necessary paperwork from the government can take months, but it could be worth it if you want to make this your home. The schools are not on par to the States (I am a certified teacher and school counselor) by any means. I would also suggest looking into private schools.  Wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Private schools run from small independent schools to church-affiliated schools to more intense college-prep schools. I have two children who were in a private school in the SJ metro area and both are now in good universities in the US. I have heard from a few friends who moved back to the States that their kids, after attending a PR private school, were up-to-speed with the US classes they entered, and in a couple cases, ahead. I was happy with my kids' education here. Not to say that there weren't occasional problems, but all schools have problems.
    I have found work here (part-time) as an ESL teacher - adult education, either one-on-one or small groups. A few years ago, I had a friend (a Coast Guard wife) who worked as a substitute teacher in the Ft. Buchanan school system ("Antilles").

Thanks for the response...Still looking for work opportunities..