Are you happy in Madagascar?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Madagascar? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Madagascar happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Madagascar rates 148 on the UN World Happiness Survey.  For me I would rate Madagascar as number one on Happiness, which is why I choose to live here for 15 years.  If I need to travel back to the USA, I feel like a stranger in my own country and always happy to come back home in Madagascar. 
I found Madagascar in 2002 after crisscrossing the globe for 20 years.  I came here as a traveler with no preconceived ideas meaning not as a missionary or NGO worker and being schooled as to what to expect.

For an expat, it is inexpensive to live here. I enjoy a great sense of freedom and independence.  There is not much government interference in daily life.  I view governments as parents for adults and first world countries have an over abundance of rules and regulations for it citizens.  Happiness for me comes in the form of a stress free lifestyle, wonderful tasty food, not seeing fast food places, shopping malls trashing the environment.  I like the idea of stores closing their doors for rest in the afternoon, giving a slow down pace of lifestyle.

People here are for the most part happy and very social, with hellos and smiles and giving a sense of a good community as we watch out for each others health and safety.  So there is a very calm and tranquille feeling.  There are so many good reasons to live here in Madagascar and one of them is self reliance of getting a job done which requires doing research and doing your homework thus getting a positive result. Life style here is simple, so wanting and getting anything more than the basics requires self-education.   
The air is fresh, the weather is balmy warm.  So now I am going to pick a couple of sweet mangoes off my tree for breakfast.   Veloma

I would like to live in Mada one day but my Malagasy wife thinks Australia is better for us as far as safety and education for our teenage daughter- but I would love to contribute something to Mada in the future over and above   money to support relatives now.