Close

Are you happy in Indonesia?

The bike.
Just when you think you've got the roads worked out and there is no way some twit can possibly do anything more stupid, one will and knock you off your bike.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Am I happy in Indonesia?

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. But for sure I'm less happy now than when I first came here to live, with my Indonesian wife, 6 years ago. Why less happy? I guess I'm finally able to see right through all those fake smiles, & to stop trusting everyone, until they can prove to me otherwise. (Most locals here are the biggest liars on earth, & they think all Bules are rich) !!

Too bad to hear that Hugh...but there is still plenty of time to get back to the states...and vote too! 

Indonesia isn't for everyone...but it only makes sense to figure that out BEFORE saying, "I do."  ;)

Hugh1 :

Am I happy in Indonesia?

(Most locals here are the biggest liars on earth, & they think all Bules are rich) !!

I see your point, especially as there are some here who act that way. The "ATM" syndrome does happen, but it's not all.
I wanted a trophy a while ago, so tried the shop  just up the road from me - mistake as they were gold diggers of an unpleasant type who mistook me for an ATM, but the shop a little further down the road gave me a 'normal; price without the slightest problem.
I'm never going to argue there aren't some bad people here, but I maintain the majority are pretty great and very welcoming of the whole, not just my wallet.

I have no objection at all to a small shop that's nothing more than a shack ripping me off by putting the price up by a couple of thousand, but they have a lot less than me so I just let them know I know and pay up without hassle or argument.

I stick to my guns on this one, the Indonesian people and their welcome from the heart makes my stay here a happy one, so I prefer to simply ignore the odd poor experience.

Hi everyone, i am in Indonesia for 2 years now. Though i have had terrible moments here in Jakarta, still am happy in Indonesia. Most Indonesians are friendly.

Yes I would be happy when i move to Indonesia.  I am looking forward to not working 10+ hours a day just to pay high rent, high car payment, high credit card bills and etc.  I've been doing this since I was 16 it's time to do something radically different and I like Indonesia and that is where I will do nothing.  As long as there are people there will be problems  like crime and the like so doesn't matter where you end living except Mars. 
I a Westener and I understand the country I want to live in human nature does not change no matter what country you go to as long as people inhabit it.

Digitarius :

As long as there are people there will be problems  like crime and the like so doesn't matter where you end living except Mars.

Crime happens, so you have to aim for places where there's much less of it.
Cities all over the world are impersonal places so crime is always a problem, but the crime rate varies a lot for cities in different countries.
Jakarta is considered to have a terrible crime rate by the locals, but London is far worse than anything you see in Jakarta.
Once you hit the small towns crime is pretty much unknown. I recall seeing a Wonosobo police intel guy looking very perplexed, wondering what the world had come to because there had been over 20 crimes in the whole Wonosobo area that month. I could imaging Sheffield police holding a massive street party if their crime numbers ever dropped that low. Even my home town in the UK of only 10,000 people can't get close to that.

One of the reasons I live here is the lack of crime, and that's one big reason I'm happy in Indonesia. You get the idea when you see people leave mobile phones and other stuff on restaurant tables when they go to the toilet - They simply don't expect anyone to take them. You can't do that in the cities, but it's common in the towns.

Expatriate health insurance in Indonesia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Indonesia

Moving to Indonesia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Indonesia

Travel insurance in Indonesia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Indonesia

Flights to Indonesia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Indonesia