Are you happy in Indonesia?

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Am I happy in Indonesia?

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. But for sure I'm less happy now than when I first came here to live, with my Indonesian wife, 6 years ago. Why less happy? I guess I'm finally able to see right through all those fake smiles, & to stop trusting everyone, until they can prove to me otherwise. (Most locals here are the biggest liars on earth, & they think all Bules are rich) !!

Too bad to hear that Hugh...but there is still plenty of time to get back to the states...and vote too! 

Indonesia isn't for everyone...but it only makes sense to figure that out BEFORE saying, "I do."  ;)

Hugh1 wrote:

Am I happy in Indonesia?

(Most locals here are the biggest liars on earth, & they think all Bules are rich) !!

I see your point, especially as there are some here who act that way. The "ATM" syndrome does happen, but it's not all.
I wanted a trophy a while ago, so tried the shop  just up the road from me - mistake as they were gold diggers of an unpleasant type who mistook me for an ATM, but the shop a little further down the road gave me a 'normal; price without the slightest problem.
I'm never going to argue there aren't some bad people here, but I maintain the majority are pretty great and very welcoming of the whole, not just my wallet.

I have no objection at all to a small shop that's nothing more than a shack ripping me off by putting the price up by a couple of thousand, but they have a lot less than me so I just let them know I know and pay up without hassle or argument.

I stick to my guns on this one, the Indonesian people and their welcome from the heart makes my stay here a happy one, so I prefer to simply ignore the odd poor experience.

Hi everyone, i am in Indonesia for 2 years now. Though i have had terrible moments here in Jakarta, still am happy in Indonesia. Most Indonesians are friendly.

Yes I would be happy when i move to Indonesia.  I am looking forward to not working 10+ hours a day just to pay high rent, high car payment, high credit card bills and etc.  I've been doing this since I was 16 it's time to do something radically different and I like Indonesia and that is where I will do nothing.  As long as there are people there will be problems  like crime and the like so doesn't matter where you end living except Mars. 
I a Westener and I understand the country I want to live in human nature does not change no matter what country you go to as long as people inhabit it.

Digitarius wrote:

As long as there are people there will be problems  like crime and the like so doesn't matter where you end living except Mars.

Crime happens, so you have to aim for places where there's much less of it.
Cities all over the world are impersonal places so crime is always a problem, but the crime rate varies a lot for cities in different countries.
Jakarta is considered to have a terrible crime rate by the locals, but London is far worse than anything you see in Jakarta.
Once you hit the small towns crime is pretty much unknown. I recall seeing a Wonosobo police intel guy looking very perplexed, wondering what the world had come to because there had been over 20 crimes in the whole Wonosobo area that month. I could imaging Sheffield police holding a massive street party if their crime numbers ever dropped that low. Even my home town in the UK of only 10,000 people can't get close to that.

One of the reasons I live here is the lack of crime, and that's one big reason I'm happy in Indonesia. You get the idea when you see people leave mobile phones and other stuff on restaurant tables when they go to the toilet - They simply don't expect anyone to take them. You can't do that in the cities, but it's common in the towns.

@agent008
first,  honestly. I believe many of us (Indonesian) didn't really care abouth health care. that is until we get sick, let alone medical check,etc. If u die then die. everyone will be at their time anyway. we can't afford it ? what a jokes.in puskesmas (national Heath center) u can get treatment for like 2$. why would I need health care except like cancer and the likes.

two, Well,its about rice and whatever you can scourge ? this is stupid.literally. I mean, even if I ate breads, burgers, pizza, we still didn't eat yet if we didn't eat rice.

piece of advice, go back to your country bofore get thrown with stone or screamed by savage here. I really sugested that. I pity my people's that came around with u.

Lets see

I live in a densely populated area of South Jakarta and I am the only Westerner in the area.  There are at least 9 mosques in my area and most are frequented by different organisations including the FPI.
I have yet to have stone thrown or bad name said to my family or me living in this area despite not being islamic.
I have built a good relationship with many of the people around me in shops, businesses and the local officials.
Still no stones.

The health care I receive and my family receives from the local doctors and hospitals is amazing and I can't complain.

As for food, I have no problem.

I also ride across the city at all times of the day through nice areas and not nice areas. I have travelled extensively through Indonesia both alone and with my family.  I have yet to meet the savages you describe and no stones.

Perhaps your hatred of Indonesia is misplaced or that you should leave. After 12 years I am quite happy here. Comparing Indonesia to England, well the food is healthier, there is more sunshine, people are friendly and less likely to attack you or verbally abuse you if you make eye contact. I haven't been threatened with a knife, a gun or to be beaten to death for 12 years which is nice. There are no drunks or drug addicts in the streets and the people I tend to avoid are not Indonesian but western as they bring more problems than is necessary.

umm, well this is awkward..I reply to Agent 008 (page 1). who says about health care and food problems,not the one who make post..and I am Indonesian. the thing about savage, screamed, and stone.thats is sarcasm....

^
Odd as it is, I hardly ever interact with other westerners save the odd brief conversation. I met a lady yesterday in a mall whilst hiding from the rain, the conversation lasting a minute as we walked the same direction, then the encounter ending just as quickly as I wandered up an escalator to the electronics shops.

Over 11 years here for me and no regrets at all, but lots of great stuff.

The paperwork is a pain, but that's getting much easier these days, and the roads are beyond terrible, but the new tolls are making a big difference to my long distance jaunts into Java. Once the set to Surabaya is completed, that'll see journey times slashed by hours - and the audio on my dashcam having far fewer naughty words on there.

The new job is great, the move away from Jakarta a great move, the food is great, and the people are great.

Now, what does the "Raya" in Indonesia raya mean?  :D

Bima Tirtanadi wrote:

umm, well this is awkward..I reply to Agent 008 (page 1). who says about health care and food problems,not the one who make post..and I am Indonesian.

The biggest problem with health care is insurance agents out to rip off people too silly or inexperienced to realise they're being ripped off. For those people, try local insurance.
As for hospitals, off course there are cheap ones around that simply don't have the facilities you see in the British NHS, but there are amazing top quality hospitals easily as good as anything Bupa can manage.
Some are more like five star hotels.

Food problems - Yes, I have those.
I never know which delicious Indonesian dish to try next, but there's always pizza hut, McD and a million other western fast food places to wander in to if you're you're too wimpy to try sambal.
If Australian is your bag, try the Outback steak house. I wandered into one for Wednesday lunch - pretty great. Black pepper beak bites served with veg and a load of chips - Very nice.

what does the "Raya" in Indonesia raya mean?

maybe, just maybe...like "great" in Great Britain..

OR maybe not,

The words "Indonesia raya" came from The Indonesian national anthem
its statements (declarations) of affirmation to the world of existence and existence (sovereignty) and the direction of the country's path.

First, Indonesia has territory, it is Indonesia, My Motherland, the Land of My Blood.

Secondly, Indonesia has a world-recognized sovereign government. That's where (imagine you are talking to the world community --- foreigners in their country or at the UN general assembly) I Stand Up, Guide My Mother.

Third, Indonesia has a nation / people. Indonesian Nationality.

And, such elements of the Indonesian state are united in synergy to achieve the ideals of Greater Indonesia, not only in this vast geo-political (quantity) concept. But comparatively and competitively, Indonesia Raya is a quality country. Within that framework, the Indonesian people actively carry out psychological and physical development.

Nation and my homeland. Let Us Call for United Indonesia. Live my land. Live my country. My Nation My People Everything. Wake up his soul. Build the body. For Indonesia Raya.

From the ideals of Indonesia Raya, the most important and cannot be forgotten thing is the attitude to always preserve and actualize the sovereignty of the Indonesian state that I love (nationalism) so that Indonesia continues to (increasingly) live forever.

Thus, Indonesia Raya.

Bima Tirtanadi wrote:

Thus, Indonesia Raya.

I'm Indonesian - but by choice, not accident of birth.

Fred wrote:
Bima Tirtanadi wrote:

umm, well this is awkward..I reply to Agent 008 (page 1). who says about health care and food problems,not the one who make post..and I am Indonesian.

The biggest problem with health care is insurance agents out to rip off people too silly or inexperienced to realise they're being ripped off. For those people, try local insurance.
As for hospitals, off course there are cheap ones around that simply don't have the facilities you see in the British NHS, but there are amazing top quality hospitals easily as good as anything Bupa can manage.
Some are more like five star hotels.

Food problems - Yes, I have those.
I never know which delicious Indonesian dish to try next, but there's always pizza hut, McD and a million other western fast food places to wander in to if you're you're too wimpy to try sambal.
If Australian is your bag, try the Outback steak house. I wandered into one for Wednesday lunch - pretty great. Black pepper beak bites served with veg and a load of chips - Very nice.

there is too many local dish, each island or tribe might have their own special dish..I might not even know many of it.

honestly, about healthcare insurance. how many do you think Indonesian people have it ? they have it if company provide it. if not ? hahaa,,screw it, We will buy it if we got some serious health problem,

BPJS ... but I have company insurance at the moment and it covers my family.
However, I keep the BPJS as well as I know a lot of people need the service and my contributions, whilst unnecessary for me, might well help others

Fred wrote:
Bima Tirtanadi wrote:

Thus, Indonesia Raya.

I'm Indonesian - but by choice, not accident of birth.

That's some courage u have there, and thanks for believing my country and people's.
No, its our Country now.