Are you happy in Honduras?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Honduras? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Honduras happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

That is a difficult question. There are days when things go well. But Honduras is a difficult place to deal with. San Pedro Sula is extremely hot and that is tough. I have to cross the street opposite of the turning cars, (San Pedro Sula has many one-way streets), because taxi drivers will try to hit me. I am often not served in restaurants. Yet my daughter is here and life goes on. I know many people and I manage to go where service is good to foreigners. School age students are kinder than in the United States. You must realize that lying is endemic here and if you are looking for honesty it is not the place to be.

What makes Honduras bearable is the weekend house near the beach on the north coast. La Ceiba is a much cleaner and prettier city. And the ocean provides a splendid view with at times a very clear image of the Hog Islands. The beach should be kept cleaner, however people are nicer and a good jog on the beach is good for one´s health. And yes I always jog with my .38 calibre just in case. I have never had any problems, but I know individuals who have, however not where I jog.

I guess it depends on your luck. People are generally jealous and lying can be common.

I work as a doctor and have the means to visit my gf often in a year. I've tried to help out building a fence for the local school and got a medical brigade to come out to the local school.

Of course jealous people have labeled me as a narco and blah blah blah. But I believe in karma but it is disappointing.

the islanders on Roatan have a hateful spirit...I was hoping it would have been like Hawaii and their culture where everything is chill and people are welcome and mellow. Aloha Spirit..but there is a sinister evil type atmosphere in Roatan, where you can't walk along the beach at night for fear of being robbed or machetes by someone coming out of the mangroves, in Roatan at least .... when they serve you at the nicer hotels some of the locals have a spiteful spirit....bad vibes...  food is expensive in the stores and not locally grown like you would expect....
add to this, especially since I was ripped off by a well known atty and his developer...very sad.   They don't realize that what they think they gained will only turn sour in their mouths and come to ruin...

I thought it was only in the villages of the mountains of Cortez

But the heart of darkness is real... when the police can be corrupt and the best line of defense is a.38 it sucks.

It's sad cuz my gf's family is the same- they are nice as long as you keep giving them money- once you stop they couldn't give a care in the world

One man was doing business selling my gf concrete and other materials so she could continue to build her home.

When he started to screw around and give wrong materials and demand she not buy from other Vendors she got around. So as a result he badmouths her and Says we are dirty business