Are you happy in England?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in England? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in England happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Hi I am from Guatemala and I have been in England since 2009.
It has taken me years to get used to the British culture. Now I dont take it personally but I do miss happy faces like in Latinamerica. I choose to keep on smiling and whoever wants to smile back then it is their gain. I choose not to change too much and try not to take it personally however it has been a challenge (culture, weather, food).. how about you?

We have recently settled in Edinburgh from South Africa.  In short.  We are very happy.  We have been accepted in a short period of time, in general the service is great and the people very friendly.  We also feel very safe here as the crime is nothing like we were used to in South Africa.  It is like you have more energy now as you are not exposed to 24 hours of stress. We can go for long walks and stopping at intersections is okay as you know you won't be attacked or someone will run a red traffic light.  We also love it that people have respect for each other and their possessions.  We are very happy.  Will never go back.  Even support England in sport and not SA anymore.

I live in London 5-6years.
Very expensive, horrible traffic,
Weather is very, very ☔  ☔ ☔

I first came here as a student in 1990, and after a few stints back in Romania and 6 years in the US, we finally settled in England. In all, I've been in England for 15 years.
Compared to Romania, life is easier here. I don't think I am happier, the English are a miserable lot; they are generally grumpy and it's really difficult to make true friends. They are nice and polite but it's only on the surface.
Twenty years ago I felt really welcome here, but in the last few years I faced quite a lot of racism and xenophobia. The ukip/brexit campaign has made a huge difference on how foreigners are treated. I had my car vandalised 5 times in the last year; house windows smashed on two different occasions, and I can't count how many times I had people shout at me to 'go home, you f-ing foreigner'. I never managed to get the police to record any of these as racist incidents - the police here are just as racist as anyone else. After all these years living in the UK, I am now thinking of moving elsewhere in Europe.

Questions and answers about England

Ask your question
By aurianne31
New in town!
By Ella.eleanor
Hangout in London anyone ?
By Patsy26
After brexit ...?
By walkingbotanist

Expatriate health insurance in England

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in England

Moving to England

Find tips from professionals about moving to England

Travel insurance in England

Enjoy a stress-free travel across England

Flights to England

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to England