Are you happy in Denmark?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Denmark? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Denmark happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Denmark seems to be a quite happy country, very different from other EU countries. They seem to abide by their own rules, which are actually quite sustainable and healthy.

The bad thing in my view is that Danish people seem to be very closed. They are quite nice superficially, but they don't tend to open up much. As an expat I would say it makes for some awkward situations, especially when trying to get around and blend the first few days/weeks.

So I would say in terms of quality of life, I'm quite happy in Denmark, but socially not so much. Perhaps things get better over time. One advice i can give to expats is to get on and learn some Danish, as it seems to make things easier while socializing, as with any other country.

Hi :)
In terms of the social side I have read the same thing a lot when looking through lots of forums online when I was trying to research my move. One danish person actually commented on this saying that Danish people like to make "friends for life". They are not so much into just making acquaintances so therefore feel you need to put in some effort to prove that you will be a friend for life. I don't know if this will help you as such but I found it interesting coming from a Dane :)

I guess you're absolutely right, it seems most people here get to know each other from school days and the friendship goes for life.

Actually one of the guys at work is Danish, he came from another area to Copenhagen when he started at the company. He mentioned having the same issues: he gets more often in contact with his local friends that he's able to retain new friendships over here.

Happiness is an inside job, but certainly has something to do with the environment in which we place ourselves.  I came to Denmark a little over 20 years ago.  I have adjusted to the cultural shock.  I am still learning.  I am satisfied that Denmark is a better place for me than the US.  I am happy i made the move.  I am happy in my marriage to a lovely danish woman.  I am happy about my 20 years of working experiences, here. Now I have to learn how to wrap my arms around retirement.

I dont believe surveys, They put a criteria and then follows it, even if not representative.
I lived in Denmark and found its people miserable, have little to enjoy of the life, definetly not happy, but finding the best way to live the life they pushed into.

Doubled post...

Frihed89 wrote:

Happiness is an inside job, but certainly has something to do with the environment in which we place ourselves.  I came to Denmark a little over 20 years ago.  I have adjusted to the cultural shock.  I am still learning.  I am satisfied that Denmark is a better place for me than the US.  I am happy i made the move.  I am happy in my marriage to a lovely danish woman.  I am happy about my 20 years of working experiences, here. Now I have to learn how to wrap my arms around retirement.

Great story, thanks for Sharing :)

ayham13 wrote:

I dont believe surveys, They put a criteria and then follows it, even if not representative.
I lived in Denmark and found its people miserable, have little to enjoy of the life, definetly not happy, but finding the best way to live the life they pushed into.

Where abouts in Denmark have you lived?

I actually find people quite happy, with a good environment, only somewhat reserved. Unemployment rate is very low and I feel very safe in the streets at night (unlike many other countries I've been)

I'm in a few places on the coast facing Sweden (Copenhagen, lyngby, Horsholm), so not sure about the situation elsewhere.