Are you happy in Cambodia?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Cambodia? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Cambodia happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

The fact that some people are happy and others are not happy, in the same country, shows that happiness is relative and above all personal.

If you have found your inner balance and inner peace, you can be happy in all countries that you choose to live in. I emphasize "choose" as the biggest difference between home country and chosen country is that you did not choose your home country, you were just born there.

Most unhappy people are unhappy because of things around them, not so much the country they live in. Those "things around them" will travel with them, no matter what country they choose.

So to say it in a few words: you can be happy (or unhappy) in any country that you chose to live in.
There are positive things and negative things, compared to your home country. Life is about adapting to situations, the one that can adapt easily will also be able to see the advantages of the new country and not been bothered by the things that are not so good as in their home country.

Needless to say I am happily living in Cambodia, many positive things and people and just a few less positive things , that do not disrupt my inner peace and balance.

Cambodia is nice county for living , I suggest expats will be happy to live here .
It's a lot job to do for expat then local people ,
Budget accommodation , eat and drink good price

Happy to stay in Phnom Penh.

i am from england miserable living there. here in cambodia my life has the people the culture .best place for me to retire.......

I'm in my fifth year here in Cambodia, specifically Siem Reap.  When you use the term "Happy" it starts me thinking about what that means to ME.  I can't help but remember that when I was living in The States (my "home" country) and doing research around the issue of becoming an expat there were quite a few "gurus" who stressed the importance of knowing yourself well because when you move to reside in another country you take your SELF with you.

Having said that, I would say that I am definitely more comfortable here in Cambodia.  I hasten to point out that I don't mean that in the financial sense although that is also true.  I mean it in the sense that for at least the last 10 or 15 years I lived in The States I felt like I just didn't fit in with the predominant culture in the U.S............I felt like the proverbial round peg trying to fit into the square hole.

For me, living in Cambodia isn't a matter of "happiness."  There are significant frustrations for me in terms of the language, dealing with corruption, encountering an attitude of "what's in it for me" on the part of many Khmer people and health issues (mainly parasites...ugh!), among others.  I guess I just love living in Cambodia whether or not that means being happiER than I was in my home country.  Why isn't an issue for me although I have thought of one possibility and this is going to sound off the wall to some of you, which is fine.  Given the emotional reactions I've experienced to certain aspects of the culture of Cambodia (traditional music, art, dance, architecture, certain natural settings here and some foods!) I suspect there may be some past-life issues surfacing within me.  Who Knows???

A nice read, well written.

As for the last part, anything is possible. As I always say, we do not have a soul, we ARE a soul. When our body dies we, the soul, move to either another body or hang out in a "in between".
So in that respect it does not seem impossible to me that you have been in another life and maybe that gives you the feeling of déjà vu.

Questions and answers about Cambodia

Ask your question
Feeling Surreal right now.
By marukai47
imperfect US currency exchange.
By guidedbyvoices
How to get reaction - looking for a job
By Hannes3
Kabe Adrift
"Best" TEFL School
By Kabe Adrift
Apartment-House Rent agency scam
By Wayan1417

Expatriate health insurance in Cambodia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cambodia

Moving to Cambodia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cambodia

Travel insurance in Cambodia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Cambodia

Flights to Cambodia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Cambodia