Moving to Malta in March

Hi All,

We are thinking of moving to Malta in a few months, we are 3 in the family, me, wife n our son (7 months in March)

I have seen plenty of flats for rent and it seems to be very good deals....350 - 500 euro for a 3 bedroom flat, I have seen cheaper as well...is it me looking at it wrong or is that the normal rent?

How difficult is it to find a job? we have enough money to survive a year without working but I want to work as soon as possible to meet people and have a social life...

Im a PADI Instructor and have worked for over a decade in the trade, I also work with graphic design and photography. Is the drug culture as liberal as in Spain? Not into the heavy stuff but enjoy a smoke now and then instead of alcohol...

Hoping for answer....

Pat

Welcome to the forum.

"I have seen plenty of flats for rent and it seems to be very good deals....350 - 500 euro for a 3 bedroom flat, I have seen cheaper as well...is it me looking at it wrong or is that the normal rent?"

I assume you're looking at websites. They are often out of date - so potentially unreliable from that point of view. It's really a personal decision - we are in a modern 3 bedroom apartment in Naxxar for €700 a month - we looked at places that were less but couldn't find anything we liked better, often too small for the 4 of us. Other people have different requirments and tastes. You certainly can get a 3 bedroom apartment for 350-500 but it's down to your personal requirements. Location and amenties and, of course, neighbours barking dogs all play into the equation!

Tim

Thx for your answer Tim,
We only need a 2 bedroom flat, but you are right some of the dates on the flats I have seen goes back to September last year. We aint any party people so Telly and Internet is a must. Is it easy to get Internet to a rented flat? also what is the Telly channels like?
What areas is best regarding having a 7 month old?
Thx again for taking your time mate!
Patrick

Work --  there are a lot of diving schools around and I have seen ad's on a regular basis for graphic designers.  Also internet is a snap, I had mine installed my 2nd day in country... 99euro install and 13-100euro per month depending on the speed and amount of download you want per month.

as for your smoke, from what I hear from the locals I would be very careful if I were you, because of the location of malta it is perfect for the drug trade so there is no screwing around here...   you get caught they throw the book at you.

again that is my understanding.

Thx, im sending a mail right now to a Dive school looking for Staff. Scubanauts they are called...
Yeah I hear ya, Spain is very liberal about it, its like semi legal here...Canary Islands are the same in the drug trade being very close to Africa but they are more interested busting the traffickers of class A...oh well I will find out when I get to Malta, im not a drinker and I use CB as a weekend thing instead of beer  :) Thx for your reply...
Patrick