Living in Lisbon

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I was just wondering if anyone here knows any info on the cost of living in Lisbon?

Price of an apartment: 1 bedroom w/ kitchen, bathroom, living room. per month

Price of food: For 1 adult for a month

Price of transportation: For a month (I would like to travel around the Lisbon Metro area, and possibly Porto, and Braga)

I plan on moving to Lisbon, in October of this year (2011) To play football, I know there are currently 3 teams in Lisbon in the Portuguese Liga (Sporting,Benifica,and Belenesse)

I'm 18, and I would love to find a local football club just to kick the ball around, and if I'm any good hopefully get spotted by the teams in the Portuguese Liga.

I'm also interested in going surfing and going to beach parties, so what area in Lisbon would you suggest would be the best (centralized) area to get to a lot of places in a short period of time? I have read that Rossio is a good place?

I would also be interested in getting a part time job, that would require little hours, but with a reasonable pay. Say 500 euros a month. What jobs could I get? (maybe an english tutor? or photography, or a writer at a English newspaper? Any idea's?

I would also like to learn Portuguese, do you know how much it would cost for lessons? Or possibly free ones?

Any advice, or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, as I'm having a difficult time finding accurate info on the net.

Thank you in advance!

Hi carson7, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you info about living in Lisbon very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Carson,

Rossio is Lisbon downtown, so you can guess that it is the most expensive area to live in.

A T1 appartment ( 1 bedroom w/ kitchen, bathroom, living room like you said) can cost you up to 700€ per month

In addition, you have to take into account that the minimum wage in Portugal is 475€, so for a part-time job you will get less than that. English tutoring is probably your best shot.

If you want good beaches to surf, try moving a little bit west of Lisbon and you'll find Carcavelos beach or Guincho (this one is known for surf competitions)

Learning Portuguese? Sorry, I can't advise you on that. I still haven't met anyone who tried and succeeded, besides my German teacher.

Cambridge School has Portuguese lessons for foreigners and Tourism Universities also (you have one near Carcavelos, in Estoril)
Try http://www.eshte.pt/index.php?option=co … Itemid=322

I hope the information is useful to you :)

Greetings from sunny Portugal

Sofia