Port Moresby

Hi, My wife and I are leaving South Africa in the first week of Feb to take up a job in Port Moresby. The company I am working for has secured accomodation for us, provides us with transport, medical and is assisting towards, lights, water, telephone etc. We have heard a wide range of stories about the crime and saftey in Port Moresby, what is really like if to compare it to South Africa? Where do all the Expats go to meet and get together?

Hi Alleycat, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Papua New Guinea forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will replies very soon.
I wish you good luck
Christine

I've lived in Port Moresby for a year now and seem do fine on my own. I live downtown (across from the Crowne Plaza) by myself. I am a 50-year-old female who, until recently, has been here alone. Now my husband is here as well, after finishing up a job in Nigeria, although he spends most of his time out of the city (Moro). He had no intention of coming to work with me here until he came for a visit. He could not believe the freedom with which I move around, compared to his Nigerian assignment, nor the friendliness of my national friends here. He's now decided to stay for a year. (He's 62 and getting ready to retire.)

I have to say I love it here, but am probably not a 'typical' expat. I work with a nationally owned company, Trans Wonderland Limited (TWL), so I don't have a lot to do with the ex-pat crowd. If I get 'hungry' to hear some American accents, I typically get online and Skype with friends back home. I also hang occasionally, with some Aussies I know from my work here, down at the Yacht Club. I find them to be a fun bunch to hang around, and the food, conversation, and atmosphere there are all good.

I almost never worry about moving about the city alone here, but I am also not one of those to take undue chances (something I learned from all those years of working in Houston!) I, too, have read the reports about the dangerous life of Moresby, but am still looking for it after a year. It might be here, but it hasn't affected me.

Good luck with your assignment. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

Hi

I've been here for six months now and having lived in Africa I think this place is much, much safer. You have to be careful of course and there are parts of town you can't walk around in on your own and/or late at night - but if you've lived in SA this will be a breeze.

Most expats tend to congregate at the Yacht Club - not to my taste but you have to check it out for yourself. The Airways Hotel has a nice poolside bar, as does the Holiday Inn and Gateway. Other than that people tend to have private dinner parties. There are one or two good gyms, ditto swimming pools and the supermarkets are reasonably well stocked - though fresh produce can be a little expensive.

My advice - get out of town as much as you can - its a beautiful country and you have to experience it...

Hi Alley Cat, welcome to PNG.  Are you enjoying your time so far?  Your wife may want to follow my blog on kaukauchanel.blogspot.com