One way ticket & TRC

Hi,

I have completed my teaching degree and I am planning on moving to Nha Trang around May 2017 after my graduation. However, I have concerns about whether I am able to surpass Australia and the Vietnam immigration with a one way ticket as I am planning on looking for English Teaching jobs. I have never boughr a one way ticket to Vietnam from my previous trips back. Would anyone know about this?

Another question is about whether we can obtain a TRC as I am an Australian citizen and know that there are requirements. If anyone knows how to or more information about obtaining visas for a lengthy stay. I am hoping to stay over a year or more.

TIA,
Tuyet

Welcome to (our) slice of Utopia.   Heaven for some...    ;)

The (old) one-way/return ticket debate has devolved into urban myth,
but because the goal posts and rules change on a daily? basis, most
of us deviates (sorry: expats) just do a visa run every 3 months.
     Much easier.

Americans have just received their new 12 month visa ruling, but who
knows how and when other countries will be given the same..?

There is plenty of work for English teachers, but...   ' read the reviews '
Like (everywhere?) else, beware the offers that seem too good to be true
   - they are -

A good CV and presentation (as in; turn up!)  is all you need.

Best Wishes.   It's a good move.       :top:

1-way tickets worked for me. Once in Singapore the check in counter agent for the flight to HCMC asked about my return ticket, I said I was going to take a bus to Cambodia. No problem.
When you get hired at a school, they should arrange your work visa, or if they don't, you will figure it out.

Some airlines may sell you a one way ticket and others may not.  Assuming that you will begin your sojourn with a short term visa, their concern is based on international conventions.  If Vietnam decides to expel you for a visa overstay, the airline that brought you is obligated to fly you home free.  If your passport shows a lot of evidence of short hops between SE Asian countries, they may let you go, as they did for Gobot, but not wanting to give you a free return is still the basis of their reluctance.

In our case our "Visa Exemptions" gained us one way tickets to Viet Nam.

The post by 70 Years Old brings up another possibility.  Based on your name Tuyet, may I assume that you are Viet Kieu?  If so you may be able to get a VEC through the the Embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney.  I know they are a long way from Adelaide but you might want to  look into it.  A VEC could allow you to get past the ticket issue.

My only caution is that the ticket counter, may have no idea as to what a Visa exemption actually is and will need to check with higher authorities. This may take a few minutes.

That happened with us once, several years ago with the return trip to Viet Nam on a Viet Nam to USA round trip ticket. Next time, they looked at the visa exemptions, said "you have visa exemptions ." and processed the tickets with no delay.

..or (unlike me?) you could consider being sneaky..?

My original (return) ticket thru Scoot (budget with a Capital 'B')
was from the Gold Coast to Guangzhou.  (A$200)  Guangzhou
to Hanoi was $80.  But sadly, the cheap price came with an
expensive lesson: stolen suitcase in Singapore.   Read the
reviews.   Has anyone (ever?) recovered their 'lost' luggage
from Scoot airlines?   They blame (their) luggage handlers...

Still, if you travel light (and who does?) it is cheap as chips.
..but at $5 for a cup of tea, don't even think of a meal...

I suspect a Jewish gene lurking somewhere in my DNA      :idontagree:

Hi THIGV,

I am viet kieu living in Australia.  May I ask what that VEC is? As I often go through Vietnam Airlines via Melbourne.
And how does that VEC work?

Thanks

A "VEC" is a Visa Exemption for up to five years. How it works is like a visa plus a limited Vietnamese residency authorization.

http://vietnamconsulate-ny.org/consular … -exemption

explains it.

Note, with my VEC I gained sufficient residency to obtain a Vietnamese Drivers License.

I have stated this in enough threads that regular readers must be sick of it but the best way to handle your trip is through a Viet Kieu owned travel agency.   In the US they have regular working relationships with the Viet Consulates and know exactly which documents you will need.  I can't speak for all locations, but the agency I use does not even up charge for the visa since I buy my tickets from him as well.  Here is info on the VEC from the Embassy in Canberra.  I hope you still speak Vietnamese:  http://vietnamembassy.org.au/thu-tuc-ch … %e1%bb%b1c  If you were born in AU, you may have to provide some documentation from your parents.  At any rate, my advice to seek out a VK travel agent still stands.

THIGV wrote:

I have stated this in enough threads that regular readers must be sick of it but the best way to handle your trip is through a Viet Kieu owned travel agency.   In the US they have regular working relationships with the Viet Consulates and know exactly which documents you will need.  I can't speak for all locations, but the agency I use does not even up charge for the visa since I buy my tickets from him as well.  Here is info on the VEC from the Embassy in Canberra.  I hope you still speak Vietnamese:  http://vietnamembassy.org.au/thu-tuc-ch … %e1%bb%b1c  If you were born in AU, you may have to provide some documentation from your parents.  At any rate, my advice to seek out a VK travel agent still stands.

Developing a good relationship with a Viet Kieu owned travel agency is very good advice. Note, as in any business, the quality and honesty can vary from agency to agency. Get advice from local Viet Kieu friends and relatives before selecting an agency and pass on the name of the person who recommended the agency to the agency.

Also note, Many of us have discussed VEC's repeatedly.

I was looking at the VEC but it seems to be if you have a job in Vietnam to apply is that correct?

VEC's are going to be phased out soon according to immigration at Nguyen Trai street in Saigon.

TuyetDang wrote:

I was looking at the VEC but it seems to be if you have a job in Vietnam to apply is that correct?

Just the opposite.  The VEC is nominally for visiting relatives in Vietnam.  It is available to Viet Kieu and westerners with Vietnamese spouses or in some cases children.  You can obtain a VEC while still outside of VN.  VEC stands for Visa Exemption Certificate but it is not really that.  You still have to have your passport stamped periodically (now 6 months) but you should not have to leave the country. 

The work permit is not a visa but is, just as it says, a permit to work.  You need the WP to work irrespective of what type of visa you hold.  Some here have insisted that you must obtain the work related TRC as well to work legally, but that is subject to dispute.   The 2 year work related TRC replaces a visa and can be obtained after or at the same time as the WP. 

The 3 year family based TRC is new and a lot of information and misinformation is swirling around but you should be eligible for that too.  I believe that you will need to be sponsored by your Vietnamese citizen relatives who I assume are in Nha Trang.  I don't believe that you can obtain a family based TRC while you are still in Australia but it have certainly been wrong before.  Colinoscapee may be correct that the VEC will be phased out in favor of the TRC but I see nothing to indicate that you could not get one now, as long as you can rustle up the proper documents from your parents.  It is after all still on the Canberra embassy website.  It has also been stated on the TRC thread that you must hold a VEC or TT visa to apply for the family based TRC.

I was born and raised in the U.S. to parents who are both from Vietnam.  I was able to get the 5 year multi-entry VEC a couple of years ago while I was in the U.S.  At the time, I was only going in and out of Vietnam for vacation and did not have a job there.

I have the 5 year multiple VEC would that also be classified as the VEC in order to apply for the 5 years family TRC?

TuyetDang wrote:

I have the 5 year multiple VEC would that also be classified as the VEC in order to apply for the 5 years family TRC?

Looks like you are good to go.  I think the logic is that you can't apply for a residency permit until you are a resident.  Go to Nha Trang and get settled in with a job and then see about your WP and TRC.  You should be eligible for either type of TRC once you get your work permit.

My best to you but I hope you are aware that there is a prejudicial attitude in Vietnam against Viet Kieu as English teachers.  I wouldn't be surprised if in Nha Trang you encounter Russians teaching English.  I personally feel it is incorrect and hope you can overcome it.  It may be easier if you are inclined to teach the very youngest learners.

no need for a return ticket but the airline will ask to see your visa or visa on arrival letter...