Help With Health Insurance

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I Have just signed up to this sight and my long term goad is to eventually retire in Gozo and thought this would be a great way to make contacts and to learn about life on the islands.

The question I was hoping might get answered was around the health insurance requirements for people wanting to reside permanently in Malta/Gozo.

I am lucky enough to hold dual nationality NZ and Dutch which is great for entering and staying in the country,however, only having briefly worked in the UK for 8 years and not currently having any EU health insurance is the only way to get Maltese Health care via private health insurance? and will that satisfy the permanent residency requirements?

Any guidance/good advice would be greatly apprecaited

If you are going to be working here and paying taxes & NI after a certain period you would be entitled to public healthcare.

Private Health Insurance (as long as you get the correct level of cover) would meet residency requirement. If you require any additional information regarding this part please feel free to ask as this is my field of expertise.

Hi Tinna9,

Thank you for your response really helps. At this stage I wouldn't anticipate me working I would purely be looking to Retire in Gozo and hope that my Australian State pension and personal super will suffice.

I currently pay private health insurance here in Australia so I would be quite comfortable with paying for private health care in Gozo as long as its not to restrictive

Regards
Gerry

My employer is covering basic medical insurance, but I'm not sure if I need to buy extra insurance for work permit application for non-EU citizens?

These are the plans they offer>
Basic Scheme In-Patient Only
Hospital Scheme In-Patient Only
Basic Scheme In & Out Patient
Hospital Scheme In & Out Patient

Does anyone know which one is ok for work permit application? Thank you in advance!

LidijaK wrote:

These are the plans they offer>
Basic Scheme In-Patient Only
Hospital Scheme In-Patient Only
Basic Scheme In & Out Patient
Hospital Scheme In & Out Patient

Does anyone know which one is ok for work permit application? Thank you in advance!

Hi Lidija
If the basic scheme is limited (it probably is) this will no be suitable. You need hospital plan for work permit. In-patient only would be sufficient, however if there is only a small extra amount to have out-patient cover included, I would go for that as you would get more use out of where more common minor expenses are concerned.

Regards,
Justina