Mixed Marriage Process in Morocco

Visit visa is hard to get, especially as you are married and have a child together.

I hope she passes the english test. I hear its fairly easy with basic conversation. She could improve her english by practicing with you and inshaaAllah pass the test and apply for spouse visa.

I will keep you both in my prayers and inshaaAllah you will both be together in england.

Have a great time in Essouira

Hi Eaan

Hope you had a great trip in morocco.

Generally speaking visit visas are hard to obtain when the UKBA feel there's a risk of the applicant overstaying as they either have nothing / no one to return to in morocco, or that they have something to stay for in the UK.

Has your wife enrolled on an english course? She would only need to pass the speaking and listening test. No writing or reading required. Speaking and listening alone could be difficult for someone too, but with practice (speaking with u) and possibly attending a good course in morocco she can improve.

I really hope that your wife and child get their visa approved soon so that they can join you in the UK inshaaAllah.

Salaam,

Hope you are well, just wondering how long its take to obtain marriage eligibility certificate from British consulate from Rabat.

Many thanks in advance and Ramadan kareem.

WaSalaam

Haahahaha here in Morocco things seem to be much more complicated aind very strict as well. You must wait and wait till youc change your mind.

Salaam

I haven't gone through the process yet but haaving read the posts on this site by people who have been through it, the Brit embassy/consulate give you what you need on the day. You have to make an appointment in advance online and as long as u take all the documents they request you get ur paperwork from them on the day.

From what I can tell from people's experiences, the long and tiring part of the process involves the moroccan offices/courts etc. All the best iA. When are you going to do all this? And what city?

Ramadan Mubarak

Salaam and Ramadan Kareem,

Thanks for the reply, I already have an appointment with British consulate on 11 July. Inshallah, love to have all the admin paper and marriage registration end of July at Casablanca.

As my fiance lives at Casablanca.

One more thing, do I  need to verify  / Notary public from the UK before submitting to Moroccan official.

Many thanks and have a blessed Ramadan.

WaSalaam

Hi jess .. is there anyway I can pm you for information thanks xx

Aslm everyone... Am not new on this site but its the first time am checking on forum for marriage in Morocco... i would like to know the procedures step by step please. Am from Mauritius... its difficult to explain where it situate for those who doesnt know just google please😉 well am with someone 7 years now i came to Morocco last 21th june 2016 and we planned to get married before but i didnot want to leave my job just like that and get married as i had a contract of 1 year with a family in here i work as private english tutor and the 1 am going to marry is english teacher too in a school... now that ive respected my contract so am planning to get married... it would be great if someone can help its quite urgent thank you so much... ps its not for papers as i have 3years carte de sejour🙄 thanks in advance

hey guys i am new here and happy to be with u

Hiya, please check the following link - https://shrtm.nu/EaD4 -it is in english and it has all required documents to get married in Morocco - i've been through it before, it is long but i'm sure it will be worth it once done. best of luck & congrats in advance.

Thank you sooo much dear..... i will check it right away...

Pleasue & best if luck x

*of

mludhi wrote:

Salaam and Ramadan Kareem,

Thanks for the reply, I already have an appointment with British consulate on 11 July. Inshallah, love to have all the admin paper and marriage registration end of July at Casablanca.

As my fiance lives at Casablanca.

One more thing, do I  need to verify  / Notary public from the UK before submitting to Moroccan official.

Many thanks and have a blessed Ramadan.

WaSalaam

Salaam....i just wondered how the process went for u....any feedback? Thanks

Salaam,

Hope you are well. its been good so far I manage to collected all the admin paper from Moroccan official and British consulate. . Due to  time constraint I am did not submit the paper. InshALLah I would submit on 11th August.

Regards

jess1406 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am a British female who has recently married my Moroccan fiancé in September 2016. I wanted to write a post on an up to date process to help those who are in a similar situation going through the process or planning to get married in Morocco in the future! ☺

We were married in Tinghir on September 30th after travelling back and forth to court in Ouarzazate. It can be a very long and tiring process, if you are not prepared. In total it took us about 10 working days to complete the papers, get the permission and get married. I do believe that we could have done it in less time, had we known about some papers and there were also days where we decided to wait an extra day. However, I know it can often take people a lot longer but the key is preparation and organisation – it can be done within 2/3 weeks if you are patient and organised.

The papers for the marriage need to be dated within a 3 month period to be accepted within Morocco. Both my fiancé and myself prepared the papers that we could prior to me arriving in Morocco.

In the UK the papers you need to get are:

-    A birth certificate issued within the last 3 months (this must be a FULL birth certificate – with information of mother and father)

-    Letter of employment (stating where I work, start date of employment, working hours and annual salary)

-    Payslips for the 3 months before arriving in Morocco to submit the papers

-    A UK police check – ensure this is the ACRO police certificate, which can be ordered online. (Mine took around 10 days to arrive upon placing the order).

I had taken copies of these over to Morocco on a prior visit to get translated in preparation to completing the process. If unable to take these over in person, I would suggest emailing/faxing them to your partner to translate prior to arrival, as this usually takes a couple of days.

There are a number of different documents that your fiancé will need too. He can contact the local court or an adoul and they will be able to provide a list of the documents. They include: a copy of identity card, updated birth certificate, police check, capacity to marry (single status), medical check. My fiancé needed the medical check and 2 witnesses in order to get the capacity to marry paper, so it is important to begin planning these papers in advance otherwise it can add extra time to the process.

The papers you will then need to get whilst in Morocco:

-    Medical check
-    Police check from Morocco – Ministry of Justice (Rabat)
-    Capacity to Marry – British Embassy (Rabat)
-    Certificate of Nationality – British Embassy (Rabat)

We were also asked for a certificate of religion for me when we presented our papers at the court. We completed this in Arabic and had it certified, so it may be worthwhile to also prepare this paper, as I believe some courts do still require it.  (The paper we prepared just stated my name, date of birth, passport number and that I am of Christian faith).

Make sure that you book an appointment at the British embassy for marriage online in advance. They only have appointments on Tuesday's and Thursday's. I recommend doing this a few weeks in advance to ensure you get an appointment!

Make sure you also have a number of photocopies of your different papers also – the original documents and the translated versions and have these with you at all times. We did 5 copies of everything. We also got 8 passport size photographs each.

Below is our experience:

MONDAY

I had arrived in Marrakech over the weekend and we stayed here for a number of days whilst completing further documents. This day we picked up the papers that we had previously submitted for translation (police check, employment letter, birth certificate). We also then went to a local clinic and requested a medical check. The doctor just asked if I had any medical problems, then wrote a paper to say there was nothing wrong with my health! This cost us 250 MAD, make sure that you take your passport when getting the certificate.

TUESDAY

We caught the 4:45 train to Rabat from Marrakech. We arrived in Rabat by around 9:30. First – we went to the Ministry of Justice to request a Moroccan police check. I had to go in alone as fiancé's are made to wait outside. I went inside and was given a form in French to complete – basic details, passport number, mother/father names etc. I then sat and waited before I was called to a desk, I gave the form and a copy of my passport and was given a card saying to come back at 3pm.

11:30 – we had our appointment in the British Embassy. We filled in a couple of forms and were then given the 2 documents we needed.  This took 30 minutes.

From the Embassy – straight to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We were given a ticket, and we were both allowed in together. We sat downstairs and a man came in calling out numbers, once they call your number you head upstairs. Once again you wait, they call your number and then you go to a desk where the clerk stamps your papers. It was all finished within about 15 minutes.

3pm – headed back to the Ministry of Justice. Took the card they gave earlier and also a 10DH stamp, which can be bought from a shop just around the corner. Went inside, waited until being called and then collect your paper from the ladies at the desk, and get it stamped by the police officer at another desk.

We then headed to a nearby fax shop in order to fax the documents to the translator that we use, so we were able to pick them up the next day. All finished by 3:30pm and we got the next train back to Marrakech.

WEDNESDAY

Collected our translated papers from the day before at 12. We then made photocopies of all of these (original and translated version). We then made the long 8 hour bus ride to Tinghir.

THURSDAY

The nearest court to Tinghir is Ouarzazate, another 2 hour journey! Went to submit our papers at the court. Was told all of my papers were correct and good to go. However, they requested that my fiancé got another 2 papers – a paper to state where he is currently living and that he is single (despite already having a number of papers stating this!!). Back to Tinghir to complete these papers.

FRIDAY

My fiancé headed back to the court the next day with the papers in order to try again. This time was told that I needed the certificate of religion. Myself and my fiance's father completed this paper in Tinghir and faxed it to the court in Ouarzazate. Papers then submitted, given an envelope to be taken to the Criminal court. Taken there and signed by the representative of the King, then given an envelope to take to the police.

MONDAY

Went to the police first thing and gave them the envelope. This is easier if you have connections, which we were lucky in that my fiance's father knew the head of the police in Tinghir. The only things they asked me was the name of the company I worked for, when I started work and the last time that I visited Morocco. They then prepared a paper that they said would be sent to the court the next morning.

TUESDAY – we decided to wait a day for the papers to arrive to ensure that we hadn't wasted another journey to Ouarzazate!

WEDNESDAY

Went first to the Criminal court, they had received the papers from the police. Gave us a paper to take to the family court. Back to the family court, was told that the judge was not there today. Gave us 2 papers to fill in and said they would get it signed by the representative of the court. Went back at 3pm, the clerk had given the representative the Moroccan marriage papers to sign and had forgotten to give the mixed marriage papers to sign! (Very frustrating!!!). Waited to see if the representative would come back to sign our paper, however he was not able to.

THURSDAY

Try again – my fiancé went back to the court the next morning. Received our permission to marry signed and stamped by the judge around 10am.

FRIDAY

Went to the adoul and completed the marriage! All finished!

The marriage certificate has then been sent back to the court to certify – once again this may a few weeks for it to be ready. It is hard work but persevere as it all pays off and is so worth it once you are married. Good luck to those of you who are completing this process - if you have any questions feel free to ask I just hope this post will be able to help someone and to understand that it is not always a lengthy, difficult process ☺

Kind regards,

Jess

Hi jess

Can you tell me is there just one court where we go to or is there a few? I see u mention family and criminal courts! Is there any further suggestions you have to get things done so there are no delays. The police interview is this a lengthy process? Or are they co-operative? Ive never been morocco before hence all these questions. Thanks

I'm working in Saudi but basically from india, I have some questions below mention and please answer

1)a certificate of eligibility for marriage, received from the embassy or consulate which represents foreign country in Morocco, and must be  certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Where I get this ?

2 ) how much minimum salary required ?

Can you share your personal email then I can share some documents then maybe you can understand and advise

Salaams

Glad it went well for you so far. Alhamdulillah.

So did u come back to UK and then return to morocco to submit papers on 11th august?

Did they give you a time frame to be back to submit?

I hav read that documents are only valid for 3 months. And that papers must be submitted within 3 months.

Hope u received your permission to marry inshaaAllah. Do update us?

And then once you receive permission to marry, Im not sure how long that permission is valid for?

Hi

I havent been through the process yet myself but as far as Im aware there is no salary requirment for marriage.

Certificate of eligibility to marry - i believe this is from your countries embassy in morocco. So, as i am british, i will have to collect this from the british embassy in rabat morocco.

Hi thank you for all information, i am going to marry next month in Morocco, my fiance from Rabat.
I just want to ask few questions, my birth certificate issued by Pakistan long time before, now i am living in UAE. Will they need translated one birthday certificate issued by last three months or original one? And how can i get this? Please guide me.

Hi Jess

We have done all the paperwork and now been told that we need to get permission from police.
Can you give me an inside to what this is and what they ask?THANKS

Molondon wrote:

Hi Jess

We have done all the paperwork and now been told that we need to get permission from police.
Can you give me an inside to what this is and what they ask?THANKS

This is the part where you get interrogated. Expect lots of questions about your religion, what scholars you follow/listen to. Will ask about your family and work. Basically they want to be sure you are genuine and good and if they think that's the case they give you permission to marry. I'm not sure if the rank of the police who does the interview but it's fairly high up, like cid. Expect to wait around and go back again the next day. Then you will have to go to the police records office later on to get the paper

Hi Jess,

Im just preparing to head to morocco soon and wanted to check something with you please.

You said that you went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOA) after the british embassy, and that the clerk at the ministry of affairs stamps your papers.

Which papers are you referring to? Is it the papers that you receive from the british embassy that the MOA stamps?

Many Thanks

Salaam
Yes, the paper you received from British consulate. its need to be stamp and sign by the ministry of home affair administration. We did same day after received from the British consulate.

Many thanks

Wslm. Thabk you Mludi.

I really appreciate the response.

I have booked my appointment at the embassy for 11.30am. Do u think thats late?

Hello, you have already made the appointment so leave it, don't change the appointment. I preferred earlier as we came from another city in Morocco and had to travel by bus back home the same day.

It's ok appointment on 11;30 am. it took normally 30-45 mins.
then you can visit the following office at Rabat

-    Police check from Morocco – Ministry of Justice (Rabat)
-   Stamp and sign for capacity of marry / nationality -  Ministry of home affair (Rabat)

Hi.

I will be travelling from marrakesh to rabat the day before.

And then the following morning we plan to:

9.am - go to the ministry of justice to requeast police check

11.30- 12.00 british embassy get papers

12.00 ministry of affairs to get papers stamped.

Afternoon - back to ministry of justice to collect police check report/papers.

Or shall i change embassy appointment to 10.30?

Hi All,

This is my draft schedule for my trip to marrakesh inshaaAllah.

*Saturday - Arrive in Marrakech AM.
Collect documents translated already.
*Sunday - get a medical check at Drs
*Monday - sort documents out & take evening train to Rabat.
*Tuesday AM - Rabat - MoJ. Brit embassy & MoA (Fax 2 the translator).
*Wednesday - collect new docs frm translator.
Submit all docs 2 family court.         
*Thursday - take papers to criminal court. Then take them to the Police in Marrakesh
*Friday - Take papers 2 police if not done yesterday.
(Or collect papers from criminal court and take to family court).
*Saturday - Courts closed
*Sunday - Courts closed
*Monday - Collect papers from criminal court if not done friday & take to family court.
(Or if done on friday, collect permission)
*Tuesday - Collect permission if it was not ready yesterday.
*Wednesday - Fly back to UK

Please let me know if you have any tips or relevant info based on your experience that I would find useful?

Many Thanks

Jojo

Hi Mludhi

Thank you I just saw your response now. Great. I'll keep the appointment for 11.30 then inshaa Allah

Dear Sister,

Does the income certificate and the salary slips need to be attested from external ministry and then legalized from our Country?

I have all the documents but I still didn't get attestation for my salary certificate and salary slips. Please guide.

Hi

Im not sure as i am still preparing my documents.

As far as i know you just take the original documents to morocco and have them translated to arabic.

Once they are translated u take them to the relevant courts 2 have stamped etc. Some documents to take to the british embassy (or embassy of your country) and to the ministey of justice in rabat and ministry of affairs in rabat.

This is great I'm looking to find someone who is moroccan... does anyone have any tips

Hey....what you you want to know. If you really find someone in your country then it's really good for you and enjoy

I recently got married in Morocco and I must admit it was a total nightmare ... It's a long drawn out process but In the end you once your marriage is finished you will be relieved ...it took me three weeks to get married to my fiance before I return to the UK and it was not an easy process.. I think it all depends on which city you are getting married in also as I did mine in agadir ... But I had to make a long trip to Rabat to the British embassy in order to collect two documents .. without that you can't do anything .. I'm willing to give any little advice that I can to help others

Hi Bristolbaby

Firstly congratulations on your marriage. May your marriage be blessed.

Glad you got through the process. 3 weeks?! Thats long.

I will only have 7 working days in morocco so im really nervous.

Please can you share the following:
1. What documents did u take from UK?
2. What documents did your moroccan partner need?

Please can you share a list of the above?

Also, if possible:
3. What was the process? And did you do something every single day for 3 weeks to go through the process?

Many Thanks

Thank you so much for your informative post about your marriage...I am American and my fiance is also from Tinghir and we wish to marry in Morocco  because our fiance petition was sent back to U.S. to uscis for further review...we have been together for 3 years and were so looking forward to being married but our dreams were dashed with the embassy decision so now we are planning marriage in Morocco...I have read and read all information I can find but it's very nice to hear from  someone having experienced it

Hello, please can someone help. I'm getting married in Morocco in a few months. At the moment I'm gathering all my documents together, do all of my documents need to be legalised?? I really hope not cause I've seen this costs around £45 for each documents. Help help help
Thankyou

Hi Ray91

I haven't got married yet but as far as I am aware the documents don't need to be legalised here.

You need to take originals as well as copies.

Have them translated by translators in morocco and make quite a few copies of them.

Thankyou for your reply. I contacted the Consulate General of Morocco in London and they told me I do have to get my documents verified which now I've found the information out how to do this and it costs £30 for each document.