How much RMB can be transferred out of China by an expat?

Wanted to know what the procedure is for transferring money out of China to the UK.

- Maximum Amount each year?
- Evidence of funds?
- Face to face transfer (go to the bank) or not?
- Do I still need to be in the country to transfer the remaining money? (If needs to be done over yearly installments)

Thanks - not sure what the current set up is.

They gave a limit,but I could not change that much by the time I left China, so I exchanged much of it when I returned the US and the I withdrew from my Bank of China account after I returned to the US.

Hi, take a look at TransferWise. I never use this system yet, but I´m considering...

Hi, if you have job agreement and money are taxed, with tax approval you can transfer without limit till sum of taxed income. But need visit bank personally with all documents

Off the top of my head, I believe the limit through airports is 20k. I did try to transfer to Thailand some years ago through the banks, but the surcharges made that not worthwhile. All RMB is changed to US$ before leaving China (RMB translates as Chinese people’s money and they don’t like you taking too much out). In Thailand that was changed to Bahts and finally transferred to the local branch, incurring costs all along the way. I lost about 20% of the total I sent.

Now I take it through customs and as there’s more than 20k, I divide it up amongst friends, till we get to the other end. I’ve also found that up to around 60k in practice is acceptable.

Questions and answers about the banking system

Ask your question
money systems in China
By JamesOsb
Traders in China
By Guest
Selling a property in Xiamen
By Ohiyoo
Hong Kong bank account
By khende11
How to move my British pension to China?
By chloewright89

Expatriate health insurance in China

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in China

Moving to China

Find tips from professionals about moving to China

Travel insurance in China

Enjoy a stress-free travel across China

Flights to China

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to China