New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2016 continues below!

Thank you for warm welcome.  I have visited Cancun twice and the last time was in February of this year.  I am considering the possibility because I felt the people were warm and helpful and they smile!  For the past few years I have simplified my life and have been preparing to extract myself from the chaotic congested city.  It is important for me to stay active and busy and I would like to know if it is realistic to believe that I could give occasional lessons/tutor in English/Art lesson for some extra pesos? I was a school teacher and enjoy teaching.  Aside from that, I love fresh fish and the seashore.  I wish to be active both in the expat community and the local community.

Hi, all. I'm visiting Guanajuato for three weeks this winter and am interested in the best ways to meet people and learn about life there. Thanks for any suggestions on meeting places, events, etc.

I am  going 2 puerto morelos in jan/ feb 17 to check out living there at least 4 the winter .....any info would be welcome....been visiting mexico 4  40 years both coasts + love it...would love info on rentals .....sharing an apt ....etc.

Not a new member exactely, not in Mexico exactely, but rather I am back - kind of.  Well that was sure discriptive wasn't it.  Let me explain please.
I am Surfrider and I moved to Mexico in 2011 and have been living there for all these years.  I have a home in Puerto Vallarta that I love.  I love Mexico and I love living in Mexico.  However, in 2015 I had to return back to the states.
At the current time I am still in the states - went back a few months ago just to visit

So I guess I would say Hello I am half new?     I hope that all of you new to Mexico find the freedom, the joy, and the adventure as wonderful as I have.

Surfrider

hi there-- this is Shay in Kansas city -- I didn't see any one answering your email-- did you get local americans to talk with?

haven't lived there but lived in brownville tx--just across the border--- I would not live in either towns--- I would stay away from border towns.

Shay

If you mean me, yes, I've gotten some helpful contacts. Thanks.

Hello there!
Thanks for this warm welcome😊

I will start my travel to Mexico City tomorrow and will stay there for 5 weeks on business trip and would love to meet other expats beside of my colleagues@work.

Would like to spend my time especially during the weekend with lovely people around which can show me the city, etc.

See you soon in MX.

Kind regards, Alex.

Hola, my name is Dan, middle-aged (56), single/long time divorced, and toying with Puerto Rico (USA), Panama and most likely Baja California (Playas de Tijuana, Rosarito, or Ensenada) due to the proximity to VA in San Diego.  I'm planning on renting then buying a beachfront condominium.  I love the ocean  :thanks: .  I really enjoy cycling (indoor or outdoor).  I prefer to live somewhere there middle-aged people to enjoy life with.  Any questions or suggestions, you know where to find me. Talk to ya'll later  :cheers:

I will be in guanajuato january 2017. It would be nice to have lunch and talk about living in guanajuato.

My name is Elisabeth. I was suddenly widowed a year and a half ago at 67. I am a visual artist and classical musician, world traveler, liberal, intellectual. I lost our home and could not afford to stay in California in the San Francisco area which I loved. I have been living in Ensenada up until a month ago. I plan on continuing to paint, can teach art and guitar and piano,  do murals.
I'm hoping to remarry or at the least find a long term partner. I love nature and and am spiritual.  I love camping and photography and am interested in the biological sciences and psychology.

I love the Mexican people. I aspire to learn Spanish. However just having moved to Rosarito, I don't have any friends yet and don't know my way around. I am still horribly homesick for the states even though I have lived in Europe 6 years and having lost my partner to a heart attack hasn't helped. I'm hoping to meet a whole lot of artists. I have two sons in the States -- one in Florida and one in San Jose. The Mexicans here are welcoming and kind.

Csmith2222 wrote:

Hi, all. I'm visiting Guanajuato for three weeks this winter and am interested in the best ways to meet people and learn about life there. Thanks for any suggestions on meeting places, events, etc.

Welcome on board.

As for GTO, I was there for a couple of weeks earlier in the year, and there was always something going on. The university had a film series during the evenings and weekends (free), there were free concerts in the plazas and at the Concert Hall, and just a lot of hubbub. I am not sure how the best way to meet people is, but those events provide a lot of contact opportunities.

Hola everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

We have been in Mexico for only one week but we love it so far.  So much beauty and nice people!

We have flown into Mexico City but would like to buy a van here and travel to the South East ending up in Quintana Roo.

Would love to hear your advice about how best to buy a van & travel with it around México! Be brutal if you think there are negatives, we need to be informed!

Buenos noches,
Steve and Ambili

Hola. I will be in guanajuato january. Let's have lunch together. I hope to move to Guanajuato,I live in lasvegas now. :)

Hello or hola expats and future expats. My husband and I are in the process of moving to merida Yucatan,mexico Dec 1. 2016 we are currently waiting for our house to finish being built in the Las Americas community. Currently we are living in Dayton,Texas and are planning on driving down to Merida Yucatan, Mexico November 21,2016 it's still alot of things I'm trying to figure out but I do research alot and don't have a problem with asking questions.  We are trying to see what's the best route and way to get our furniture down to Yucatan any suggestions?  We weren't planning on leaving this soon so a garage sell is pretty much out and actually all our things are pretty much still brand new due to a house firer we had back in July of  2015.

I'm thinking if you have been a teacher in the states and you get your TEFL certificate which is a requirement in most cases you should qualify to teach English I also have been a substitute here in Texas and looking at giving back it's not about the money but paying it forward.  Maybe some of the student can help me with my Spanish because it is a big language barrier. We thought about the Cancun area and it's alot to do and the water is beautiful but we are trying to get away from the hustle and bustle of the fast pace Merida Yucatan Mexico offers us that peace and tranquility i am searching for

Thank you we are looking forward to an amazing journey

Be safe and please do share your experience

Hi Liz it can be really hard losing a live one but I did hear you say you are a spiritual person and thats great. It's a lady on you tube that live in the area you are in she's very knowledgeable not sure of what her name is right now but if you you tube expats  living in Rosario or Baja she will come up. Let me know if you find her

Hi everyone! My name is laura and I am married to a wonderful man who is a Mexican national. I am American. We are looking to make some friendly connections and are seeking some advice about making our move to merida next year. We would love to speak with anyone willing to share their experience and look forward to our journey! Thanks!!

Hi Laura,

We are moving to Merida in August. We have a trip planned in March to look at rental properties.

Best of luck!
Debi

Hello - I'm hoping to move to the Rosarito area and am looking for a safe rental. I would love to connect with expats in the area that might be able to help me find a place for my dog and me to rent.

Thanks for any input!

Jan

How exciting! Have you been to merida yet? Is there a particular area that you found to be your favorite? We haven't been down to visit yet and we're looking for any advice we can get. I hope your move goes well!

Steve&Ambili
Would you be buying that van with cash ? Credit is credit in MEXICO. Credit in the U.S. does not count. Be very careful with used vehicles. They take quite a beating due to fast driving, and Topes or speed bumps, some are marked some are not. The toll ( cuotas) roads are better kept than libre roads, also safer. The roads often have baches or pot holes on libre roads and in towns..  Don't gauge your speed on the locals speed, they know the road, and drive fast.

I would buy from an established dealer not an individual or a car sale swap meet. I know of someone who bought from a swap meet and the car spent more time in the dealer than on the road.  I bought new from a Mazda dealer. Because I had no Mexican credit, I needed the help of a neighbor to purchase it. I am also a permanent resident which also makes a difference.

So perhaps it would be better to rent that van or large car. Renting from a known rental agency is faster and easier. If you establish your self then you could buy and you would know more. Many cities now have Uber also.

Hi surf rider! How safe would you say living in puerto Vallarta is? My hubby and I are having to move to Mexico because his visa in the states expires next year and we are narrowing down safe places in Mexico. I'd love to hear your input!

Yes we were in Merida in October and loved it. We want to live close to the city center in the old colonial style homes. The city is beautiful and very clean. The people are super sweet and helpful. We will go back the second week of March to look at rental. We are very excited for our new upcoming journey.

Debi

Am starting to plan for possible retirement in or near Playa del Carmen,
Mexico. Am interested in making a trip to explore realestate options, possibly by motorcycle, with my son. Am interested in safest route, times to travel, and where to plan on stopping for the night. Any help is appreciated

I am Cameron, and I moved from Southern California to the beach at Rosarito. It's been a little over a month and I've found it hard to meet people. I have a very basic background in Spanish, but I'm working towards becoming fluent, as I don't want to be an expat that's out of touch with his community. I need help with the language, and finding activities.

I've heard so much lately about Rosarito Beach, two questions, please.
What would a 1 bedroom rent for including estimates for water, electricity(with and without AC), gas, cable, Internet. Spacious in a nice location?

Can you get around easily with bus and taxi, sample rates?

Thanks

Hi gudgrief - Here's a link I found for costs in the Rosarito area. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Rosarito
I'm moving down in mid-December. I'm renting a 1 bedroom for $400 near Puerto Nuevo and I expect my utilities to be under $75/month. I may be paying a little more than I need to, but I love the location and I really want this place.

Thanks.

gudgrief wrote:

What would a 1 bedroom rent for including estimates for water, electricity(with and without AC), gas, cable, Internet. Spacious in a nice location?

Thanks

GudGrief: I'm renting a spacious, remodeled 2 bed/2 bath condo in a gated community downtown with an ocean view. I just moved here, and I'm probably paying the gringo rate, which is $800/mo. But it includes gas & water, high speed internet, and cable tv. Electricity around $30/mo and there's no a/c. I rarely drive my car because I can walk to everything. There are taxis all over the place. I met a guy who pays $415/mo for a 1 bed trailer, also downtown.

RockabillyCam wrote:
gudgrief wrote:

Thanks

GudGrief: I'm renting a spacious, remodeled 2 bed/2 bath condo in a gated community downtown with an ocean view. I just moved here, and I'm probably paying the gringo rate, which is $800/mo. But it includes gas & water, high speed internet, and cable tv. Electricity around $30/mo and there's no a/c. I rarely drive my car because I can walk to everything. There are taxis all over the place. I met a guy who pays $415/mo for a 1 bed trailer, also downtown.

That's about twice what I pay for a very modern, spacious one bedroom on finca on a gated privada.  The only thing I might like to add is AC but I don't want the electric bill to skyrocket.  A cab to downtown is 25 going to 30 pesos, within the city lines it's only 15 going to 19 as soon as the state government sends an official letter to city government.  All the big chains are in Xalapa about 10 miles away.  Bus there and cab back is about 125-150 pesos once or twice a month.

Thanks for the info.

Hello! Thanks for the welcome!
My husband received a job offer in Mexico City we will be moving mid-January or beginning of a February.

:cheers:

14th of Januari we move to Mexico (PDC, Tulum). Travelled a lot but be an expat for the first time. Like to meet other expats!! :)

:cheers:

14th of Januari we move to Mexico (PDC, Tulum). Travelled a lot but be an expat for the first time. Like to meet other expats!! :)

Hello Everyone! I am Anna from Brazil
I am moving to Mexico with my husband on January or February depending on visa processes .
It is great to have this oportunity to meet all of you and share info about Mexico.
Excited to be headed there!

Newbie here - not to Mexico / Latin America. Have spent the majority of the past few decades living and working south of the border. Met Cristina in Baja California and together we built our forever home at La Chorera, a small fishing community outside of San Quintin.

I host the largest online forum for discussing Baja: TalkBaja on facebook.

Closed