Seeking practical advice about getting NIE/Certificado

Hello all

I am a British citizen planning to move to Barcelona in a few weeks.

I've read about procedures and now I'd like some practical information about residence formalities, which in my case is obtaining the NIE number and the "Certificado de registro como ciudanano de la Unión" . I would especially appreciate information from people who have done this recently.

Thanks for any info and perhaps see some of you soon!

Andreas

(1)
Which office exactly do I have to go to
Here is the official information
Specifically, I am not sure which of the folllwing two is where I should go because the first one is for Tarjetas but I'm only applying for a Certificado:
OFICINA DE EXTRANJEROS DE BARCELONA (Expedición Tarjetas Comunitarias)     Dirección:  C/ Balmes, 192
OFICINA DE EXTRANJEROS DE BARCELONA (*)Dirección: Paseo San Juan, 189 08037 - Barcelona

(2)
I read somewhere that you have to go to a certain Police station to get the " proof of payment" form.
But if I understand correctly the wording on form EX-16, the form is given to you at the Oficinia to Extranjeros.
Which is it?

(3) What is the delay to get the (i) NIE and (ii) Certificado? A few days, weeks?
Or does the Oficina to Extranjeros issue them on the same day you apply?

(4) Does the address have to be your address or just a physical address (e.g. a friend's address)

Ok I will try to help, this is how I got my NIE. Went to the local Police Station that issues the numbers. In my case Sabadell, I was given the form which I completed giving my girlfriends address and my passport as proof of ID. Handed it back and was given an invoice for about €10-15 which I had to take to the local Caxia (Building Society) to pay, 2 mins walk away. Went back to the Police Station with the receipt and was issued a NIE. Total time taken about 20mins most of which was waiting around.

I got mine done in July, and, essentially followed the same procedure, only using my address from the flat I had agreed to rent. My whole procedure - about an hour. I was there at 8.40, and it opened at 9am. The only problem I had was that I had been originally told to go and get it from the Psg de Sant Joan office, but found out, after queueing up there for a f***ing hour, that that was in fact for non-EU people. So jumped in a cab to the Balmes cop shop. Voila.

Thanks guys.

Can anyone tell me what the "Certificado" is?

It can't be that useful because apparently it's not valid as ID - you still have to show your passport.

I got my NIE from Balmes office and it was quite straightforward. had pics taken but you do not need them anymore.
The form on the website was also out of date but people there were helpful and did speak a little english.

Does anyone know how to get Social Security No?

andyTHEO wrote:

Thanks guys.

Can anyone tell me what the "Certificado" is?

It can't be that useful because apparently it's not valid as ID - you still have to show your passport.

It the same as a NI number in the UK.

Also I went late in the afternoon to get mine done as there was no queues.

Also...
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48457

Hi,
Things could have changed since I last renewed my NIE but generally EU citizens have to go to a police station in Passeig Joan Borbó 32 (nearest metro stop Barceloneta-itŽs the main street leading down to the beach. I canŽt remember all the details but take at least one copy of your passport plus the original, they wonŽt make copies for you. I needed a copy of my employment contract or a letter from someone offering work- I donŽt know whether this is still the case. They give you a form to fill out and you have to go to the bank a couple of doors down and pay something like 2euros before they will process it. In the end you get a green piece of paper which will have your NIE number on it. Make sure you make copies and if you do anything official they will want to see the original and quite often you will need a copy. Most of all, if you donŽt speak Spanish or Catalan try and get someone who does to go with you because most of the staff there are quite short tempered. I think it opens at 8 in the morning-get there at least 15mins before because thereŽs always a queue.

I've got the bit of paper (Certificado) with my NIE.

This is how I did it (may be useful for anyone else reading this in the future)

I went to the Office in Balmes 192, filled in a form, waited, was asked some questions then given a proof-of-payment form to take to a bank and pay (10eu I think it was), returned to the Office, waited again, was given Certificado.

Total time: 3 hours.

HoveActually wrote:

Hi,
Things could have changed since I last renewed my NIE but generally EU citizens have to go to a police station in Passeig Joan Borbó 32 (nearest metro stop Barceloneta)

No, I was originally told to go to that one but then found out it had (apparently) closed and it was now at Balmes...

I just moved to Barcelona and I got my NIE and social security number in the same morning (I'm an EU citizen). About 3 hours to get the NIE and about 5 minutes to get the social security number. Here's the instructions my company had sent me which I followed and got everything with no problems. There is a bank a few doors down from the police station, but it will only let you pay for the NIE if you're a customer and you have to use their ATM to do so. I walked about another 2 blocks and there was about 2 or 3 banks in the area and I got it paid in a Barclays one I think.

1. N.I.E (Foreigner's Identification Number):

Please first go to the following police station:
Comisaría de Policia
Calle Balmes 192
08006 – Barcelona (Metro: Diagonal)
Opening Hours: 09:00-14:00

with:

Passport or National Identity Card
Photocopy of your Passport or Identity card
Form EX-16 completely filled out
Photocopy of this form

Once all documentation is correct, you will receive a payment form from the police station. You must fill
out the appropriate fields and go to the nearest bank. This pays for your NIE certificate. You must pay
10 EUROS at this point. The bank representative will then stamp your copy of the form and return it to
you as proof of payment.

After completing this step, please return to the police station and show your proof of payment. You will
now receive a green from and this is the certificate you need.

2. Social Security Number:

Address: Av. Marques de l'Argentera, 23. 08003. Barcelona
Opening Hours: 09:00-14:00
In order to obtain your security number, you need:

Passport or National Identity Card
Photocopy of your Passport or Identity card
Your NIE certificate
Photocopy of your NIE certificate

Hope this helps.