Is it possible to renew my American passport while living in Vietnam?

I am an American Citizen and currently living in Vietnam. My American Passport will expire next year. I don't want to have to fly back to the United States just to renew my Passport. The plane flight also cost money.

Is it possible to go to the US Embassy and renew my Passport there?  If possible, I will have save a lot of money and time.

Anyone done this before?  Please help.

Thanks,
Tien

If it's anything like the Australian embassy you just go there and apply for a new passport. First contact them to find out what ID you need to take with you.

Hi colonoscapee......Thank You for the reply. How long does it take you to get a new Australian Passport while living in Vietnam? Did it cost the same as if you went back to Australian and renew it there?

Thanks for your help.
Tien

I paid about 5 million vnd, I don't know what a US one will cost.

This may help: https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -passport/

Short answer is yes.  I renewed mine at the US consulate in HCMC.  Apparently it is fairly routine for them as there were blank forms on the writing desk in the back of the room.  The turnaround was very fast, about a week.  I forget the fee.  I do remember that you must pay in US$ not VND, but they do take credit cards.

Thank you EVERYONE...... Great information.  I will go to the US Embassy for this renewal process.  :)

Technically the Embassy is in Hanoi, the Consulate in Saigon.
Whichever, make sure you make an appointment first, you can't just walk in. Follow the directions to download forms, photo, etc. They will actually return your current passport to you after you submit your application so you aren't 'naked'. You can travel and stuff too until you go back to pick up the new one.

I don't recall making an appointment but things may have changed.  I did it walk-in.  Be aware that they are pretty picky about the photo.  Here is the website on that:  https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo … hotos.html
You can take your own photo and resize it using the online tools.  There are photo shops around the consulate that may know how to do it but I used my own photo.  If you do use a photo store, be sure they are completely aware that it is for a US passport. 

There was of course an appointment for the pickup.  I forgot but they either call or email you when it is ready.  When you go back to get the new one, they will punch a hole in the old one.  You will need to keep the old one and show both as needed if your current VN visa is glued in to the old one.

Yes an appointment is required as per this...https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/how-to-renew-a-passport/

Colinoscapee: I should have read your link first but I did fortunately caution that things might be different now from my experience a couple of years ago.  Besides the need for an appointment, the other big change is that they will now accept VND which is a lot more convenient for anyone who has been in VN for a while.  This is a good step by step set of instructions, rather unusual in a website for any country.  I see they are saying two week turnaround.  Mine took a lot less but they may just be giving themselves some wiggle room. 

thuy4tien wrote:

Hi colonoscapee......Thank You for the reply.

By the way, I like Thuy's typo of your name.  You might consider adopting it.   :joking:

THIGV wrote:

Colinoscapee: I should have read your link first but I did fortunately caution that things might be different now from my experience a couple of years ago.  Besides the need for an appointment, the other big change is that they will now accept VND which is a lot more convenient for anyone who has been in VN for a while.  This is a good step by step set of instructions, rather unusual in a website for any country.  I see they are saying two week turnaround.  Mine took a lot less but they may just be giving themselves some wiggle room. 

thuy4tien wrote:

Hi colonoscapee......Thank You for the reply.

By the way, I like Thuy's typo of your name.  You might consider adopting it.   :joking:

That's exactly where it comes from, I knew that nobody would have that as a user name.

Hahahaha.....So sorry for the mis-typed @Colinoscapee......  Stupid "auto-correct". Won't happen again.

Thank You everyone!!