Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Turkey

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Turkey can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Turkey?

What are the most common clichés about life in Turkey in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Where is the expat life?

Only if you are young and of 'dateable' age will you find it as far as I can see. And the meeting groups I have found/joined are mostly young Turkish people, not expats.

As a woman 'd'une certaine age' living  here for a year and a half, I have found no expat life whatsoever for my age range.

I am happy to join in with activities with much younger people but found on numerous occasions that, whilst nobody was unkind, clearly both Internations and Meetup were all about young Turkish people finding dates. I don't fit the profile.

The other thing I found was that men, younger than my son, (mostly Turkish) would contact me for coffee or to meet, having found my profile at the meeting website (really a countless number of them). This is also not what I'm looking for. Had they been female, I might have gone for coffee, but they aren't - ever.

If somebody knows where the 'expat life' is for single women over 50, do tell me.