Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Lithuania

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Lithuania can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Lithuania?

What are the most common clichés about life in Lithuania in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I spent almost two years in Lithuania. The clichés that Lithuanians love vodka, I found that people did not enjoy listening when it was said in front of natives. As one of my Lithuanian friends told me that their traditional drink is Midus- 17th century's an alcoholic beverage made of honey and aged vodka and mentioned that vodka has been given by Russia which we drink sometimes. Moreover, he mentioned we love to drink our beers: Kalnapilis, Svyturys, Utenos etc.

One more stereotype which I read somewhere before coming to Lithuania that Lithuanians can be rude. I found it totally opposite. Everyone I met, I asked any help from or I was friends with, were so nice and helpful, tried their best to support whenever I wanted. This is totally my experience, hich might differ from the others.
For now this what I remember, might update more in future... Anyone with some more similar points please share your opinion.

Thank you!

Hi, (Labas)
as my partner is Lithuanian I am often there on holiday. Apart from their Russo-phobia it is a wonderful country with extremely friendly people.They are Polite, helpful and very keen to meet foreigners. Very few migrants as the language is difficult and unique.
One of the cheapest destinations in Europe with a wonderful seaside resort town called Palanga, well worth a summer vacation.
Kaunas beer tours are excellent and the museum of the trolls in very interesting. Local food is great and super cheap. Vilnius is very historic with many old landmarks and a cozy old town worth spending a few days in.
Enjoy
Sinjonjo