Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Guatemala

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Guatemala can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Guatemala?

What are the most common clichés about life in Guatemala in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Have lived in Antigua since 2006.  Lots to learn and still not finished.  Not dangerous unless you do stupid things like go out when everyone else goes in!  Get to know people.  It is really a small town after awhile and having Guatemalan friends can expand your world a lot.  True everywhere in the world I would guess.  Not cheap.  Used to be less expensive but not now.  Sticker shock when in the states is huge but so are the expenses in Guatemala.  Love it though and hope things settle down.  Hard to stay in Guatemala City as recommended by the embassy if you live in Antigua!  Get a grip embassy people!

I like Antigua as well and I think it is not that dangerous when you are cautious.. and not living to isolated from the main city..
Of course living in a gated community tagged you as a potential victim.. versus living in a mix neighborhood .. Regarding Guatemala City for me the best place to live is Zona 10.. everything walkable distance, during the day very safe.. and over the week end very quiet...

Questions and answers about Guatemala

Ask your question
Tourist visa Loop, fine, exemption... for Tourist-Resident
By armandatitlan
Are you happy in Guatemala?
By Priscilla
San Pedro LA Laguna. ????
By Eastcoast
Need Advices help me make this transition.
By gpd50
Dealing with homesickness in Guatemala
By Priscilla
Customer care in Guatemala
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Guatemala

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Guatemala

Moving to Guatemala

Find tips from professionals about moving to Guatemala

Travel insurance in Guatemala

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Guatemala

Flights to Guatemala

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Guatemala