Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Gambia

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Gambia can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Gambia?

What are the most common clichés about life in Gambia in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hello,

Gambia is a peaceful place to live in as an expat, you can enjoy walking on the roads late night and hangout with your friends. Crime level is v low here. All what you have to be careful is beware of local's with fake stories to get some money.

Temperature usually stays around 30 Celsius during summers and it comes down to 18 Celsius during winters season which starts from December and ends up in March.

Misconception i was having about Gambia before reaching here was it might be just like other African countries where crime rate is v high but it turned out to be wrong conception. Its a lovely place to live, There are many expats living with there families too. So its a safe place to live in.

the first thing people say is 'Is it safe' haha a lot safer than the UK.  The next question is are we not afraid of the wild animals.... well unless you count the monkey who nick bananas when they can then no the wild animals do not bother us.

i am origionally from pakistan living in uk and planning to start business in gambia i have quite few gambian friends here in uk good people as far as i know and i bet gambia is a safe african country.