Will I be in trouble???

Hi there...I have been in Portugal since August, (ticket was booked for 6 weeks, all lawfully, visa'ed and the rest(  and then I fell in love with the country and its people. I have extended my visa once already, for the maximum of 90 days (which expired on 21 Dec) and have an appointment with SEF to do so again on 20th Jan.  If I am left with no choice but to fly back to SA (cant even call it home anymore!!) before the intended next 90 day period (up to 22 March) will I be in trouble and will it in any way jeopardise my future application for a long-term visa or permanent residence.

I REALLY want to live here...I do not have loads of money and I am probably on the wrong side of 45, but I am deteermined!!  Any advice...I have had my own business since 2003, albeit small, and have been living as an artist together with the contracts I have been getting in.  I have a skeleton of 3 books lying around and I have a plan to make a coffee table book with some Portuguese gems in it.  Would this get me anywhere here??

Seems a bit vague but basically any advice on how to make a life here and stay legally of course, would be great.

Thanks....hope we can meet or at least connect as friends
Elle

aaaaaaaaawwww....was SO hoping someone would have advice for me re my visa issues???  C'mon!!!  HELP PSE!!! :;)

Hey, it's horrible when your in a conundrum and nobody seems to be keen on offering assistance, isn't it? I know how you feel and I also extended my visa once already and if I am not mistaken, you need at least 40€ per day in your bank account up till 90 days (the duration of your visa extension), a sponsor (could be your partner, housemate, lawyer) who will write a letter to vouch for your credibility, proof of residence address and a booking of your return air ticket on the last of your visa after 90 days. 

But each country varies, so best you give SEF a ring and confirm the documents that you need. Then be patient.

Hi there...thanks for your comment...I managed to EVENTUALLY, get hold of the SEF from France...what a business...had my little story all sorted and used an online translator!!  They are ever so helpful when you do get an English speaking person!!  No problem whatsoever to postpone my appointment, but it is my last extension so I have to have my ticket booked to go back to South Africa!!  It is as it is!!  I will be back, hopefully, to make Portugal my home.

Happy travels!

Oh! I am in the same boat! Should be leaving Wed, but my attorney has pulled some magic out of his bachalau.  My domestic partner is a Brit and has gotten his residency and we are both on the lease. So there are some loops in the vast mounds of paperwork Portugal SEF thives on.  My advice...get a good immigration lawyer and bug them!

Thanks Kerry and Constance!!  Wish I had a nice Portuguese man up my sleeve....would make things so much easier - send them my way if you have an extra - hahahahaha.:P

I will probably be heading back to SA in the next few months...have to either way...if I want to come back to Portugal will need to sort out all the loose ends there in any case.

But be back....I sure will

Wishing you both all the best for your ventures...let's stay in touch :)

Hi gypsy, sorry I didnt see this sooner.

I'm Australian and was in a similar position. I came here for three months and wanted to stay. I didn't want to pay for a ticket back to Australia. What I did instead is I went and lived in Berlin, got my address registered and then applied for residency in Berlin. Then I applied for my portuguese residency visa which was extremely complicated. The whole detailed story is here

emmashouseinportugal.com/travel-in-portugal/visas-for-australians-and-some-other-non-eu-citizens/

Frankly if you already have a ticket I would advise going home to do the process - at least you can work and earn a bit more cash while you're waiting for it to come through. Couch hop or stay with family or something - you can have no idea how long (or short) it will take, but it will certainly be a few months.

good luck
emma