Internet in KL

I operate a home-based business.

How well does the Internet operate in KL?

It's probably my biggest concern in regards to if I could actually make a move to KL or not.

I don't need blazing speed, but I do need reliability.

Is it mostly DSL there?  Or are there cable connections as well?

Private wireless Internet?  ie) USB 'rocket stick' like available in the US/Canada?

I know one guy who lives part-time in Georgetown, Penang and a wireless option won't work for him up on his 34th floor condo.

If anyone has any constructive input, great..

So the internet in KL really isn't rocket speed but it's ok. I use a dongle for connection to a 4G network called Yes and it's ok, but i do get dropped connections when using skype.

yes.com.my/

A friend has just had broadband installed at his house through unifi and he is a hardcore IT geek, and so far he's happy with it.

unifi.my/unifi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=58

There are plenty of other options out there as well, so i don't think internet connection should put you off!:D

OK, thanks for the answer j0amelie.

I subscribe to unifi and the speed is very constant and fast. Installation for unifi is also fast and at the same day after installation you can use it.

yeah.. unifi is better.. you should get it

Be prepared for some frustrating times.

kuilao wrote:

Be prepared for some frustrating times.

To users of unifi specifically? 

Or anybody who uses a residential home Internet connection in KL?

Not tried Unifi yet, that's the next one.
I suppose it's where you intend to live as to the level of service you'll get, so it's "pot luck" really, but I'm not very impressed at all with any of the providers in Malaysia.
If you go for Unifi please let me know how you go on with it, I'm pulling my hair out, and becoming bitter and twisted with frustration

j0amelie wrote:

So the internet in KL really isn't rocket speed but it's ok. I use a dongle for connection to a 4G network called Yes and it's ok, but i do get dropped connections when using skype.

I know I sound like a complete orgasmic nerd but woaaah,uve got 4g already in Malaysia,damn here in the UK the earliest we are supposed to be getting 4g connections is 2013..........

it's not technically 4G. That's just gimmick. It's more like 3.7 or 3.8G

Hi J0amelie,

Can you suggest any WIFI connection here in KL for short time contract? Gone through UNIFI website after reading your review but they have only 2 years contract.

I am here in KL for 6-8 months. Is there any operator with no contract?

Thank you!

Regards
Mayank

YES 4G - no contract for Dongle but can be a bit expensive (Sales offices include Lot 10).

http://www.yes.my/v3/index.do

The other option is a prepaid through a Telco.