Close

Any ideas / partners for a new business?

Friends, I have lived in Mauritius since 2003 and have practically grown up on the island. I am an Indian and arrived to study for what was supposed to be 5 years, but carried on to stay on after my course got over because of the love that I developed for the island. I feel more at home there than in my 'hometown'.

Unfortunately, the decade-long dream holiday came to an end when I left Mauritius to pursue higher education in the UK. During my stay, I could not apply for a permanent residency or a citizenship and no, as suggested by many, I did not marry a Mauritian girl only to get a citizen status. No offence here, I'm not implying that Mauritian girls aren't nice, they're amazing, but it just didn't happen - so that option is struck out.

Now, I want to return to Mauritius and since I am an MBA graduate, I am looking at various opportunities to start a new fast moving and thriving business that would enable me to permanently settle down in Mauritius.

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a few good ideas that are low on investment requirements? I am also open to the idea of a partnership for any opportunities that you might suggest.

Cheers!

Hi
In what are you willing to invest and what are your studies about?

I can give you some ideas but I need to know what are your preferences.

Pascal

Thank you for your reply Pascal.
I am a medical doctor and have an MBA.

So, I guess it would be sensible to start something in healthcare, though I am open to other suggestions as well.

Try to get in touch with Appollo Bramwell or Fortis Darné here. You will have the references on internet.

docindie :

Unfortunately, the decade-long dream holiday came to an end when I left Mauritius to pursue higher education in the UK. During my stay, I could not apply for a permanent residency or a citizenship and no, as suggested by many, I did not marry a Mauritian girl only to get a citizen status. No offence here, I'm not implying that Mauritian girls aren't nice, they're amazing, but it just didn't happen - so that option is struck out.

Good to know because as far as I know Mauritian girls are human beings and not 'walking passports' to 'smuggle' people in! ;)

That said, if you want to start a business, first you will have to look at the conditions imposed by the government on foreigners willing to start any activity on the island. Depends also if you want to start a business as a self-employed or as an investor.

Therefore, I would suggest you get into contact with the Board of Investment to learn about the process.

http://www.investmauritius.com/

Expatriate health insurance in Mauritius

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mauritius

Moving to Mauritius

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mauritius

Travel insurance in Mauritius

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mauritius

Flights to Mauritius

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mauritius