Moving soon to ghana.

hi guys,

I will be moving soon to accra coming from Paris. I am offered a job with a net salary of 6000 USD + benefits ( still need to be discussed)

I have not been to accra yet (will be there mid february for 2 weeks). From what I have seen on some web sites, I will be looking for a house to rent for about 1000 UDS/month and would like to send my kids to good private schools.

We come from Paris but we are originally from western africa.

I would like to know, from you guys already living in accra, if with a monthly budget of 4000 USD per month (must save some money ;)), we can live a decent life, similar if not better than in europe. thanks in advance for your replies.

any advice on what not to do is also welcome.

cordially,
ananze

Hi Ananze, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you info about living in Accra very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

I think it would depend on a number of factors like how many children and where you would like to live.
You can rent a house for $1000 a month but I don't know if that is possible if you want to live in Cantonments or Osu or places close to the centre of Accra.
Also if you had things like a medical package, car etc in your package then that would be a big help.
However, I personally think that a salary of $6000 should be enough to have a comfortable life-style in Ghana and save a little money on top!
I hope other people with families will give you further information.

Hello Hkann.

I'm currently looking into moving to Ghana.

Personally im on expat enquiring about freelance masseuse work and if there's a big enough market for it. 

After reading your enquiry i too am wondering what level of income would allow me and my daughter to live comfortably???

if it's not too much trouble could you pls let me know what you find out?

Thank you.

I'm afraid I have no idea about working as a masseuse.
My partner and I live quite comfortably on GHC 2500 a month but we don't have rent as we own our own house.
You would need money to set up a home here as things are quite expensive and you need to give up to 2 years rent in advance when you rent.
I hope other people will give you further advice.