What to Bring From the US

We have some young people coming from the US to live in Hungary for 6 months and may stay beyond or move to other parts of Europe. I was trying to think of what the husband should bring with them. The wife is Hungarian.

I suggested peanut butter, the American kind.
Aspirin (My pharmacy charges a fortune for 10 pills)
Tums
Benadryl was his wife's idea
Ziplock storage bags (Ikea does not have them regularly)
Canned pumpkin

Other suggestions?
Thanks

I think your list is pretty good but canned pumpkin is a bit heavy.
It is easy enough to make a pie from a fresh pumpkin.
I also bring a ton of aspirins with me from the states, paying 1,000 or so for 10 tabs is a bit much here.
I think tums is a good idea, ATM I wish I had some pepto with me here.
I also bring my fave face creams because here in HU they cost nearly double what I pay in the US at the makeup counter inside the malls.
Costs about $65. new in the states and her it is around $100.
Even sometimes TJ Maxx in the US has my cream for $30. huge savings bringing your own in.
Can't really buy more then a 18 month supply though because they may go off. Put them wrapped in the fridge to stay fresh and cool.
Of course 6 months isn't that long, anyone can live without for that short of a time.
I actually met a women from the US who told me her husband brings in an extra suitcase from the states full of mayo, that is a bit extreme.

Thanks for the tips!

I would have done the mayo too, but I found Hellman's at Tesco. It is my favorite.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I also bring a ton of aspirins with me from the states, paying 1,000 or so for 10 tabs is a bit much here.
I think tums is a good idea, ATM I wish I had some pepto with me here.

People need to ask for the generic medicine OTC (over the counter) in pharmacies here. 

If one asks for Aspirin they  will always try give you Bayer branded pills which are at least 4 x the price of generic one.  The generic medicine is made to exactly the same EU standard as the Bayer version.  Hungary has an excellent generic pharmaceutical industry with a top class reputation. 

Mrs Fluffy regularly forgets to ask for the generic version and I am constantly reminding her to ask about it.

fluffy2560 wrote:

People need to ask for the generic medicine OTC (over the counter) in pharmacies here.

Same with "Tums". Which is just a brand name for calcium carbonate in a tablet form. Calcium carbonate is available at any Hungarian pharmacy. Americans too often only know brand names, not their chemical equivalence, because the brand names only are in advertisements.

Good to know. I never thought to ask for generic aspirin. Thanks for the tip!

BudaBaB wrote:

Good to know. I never thought to ask for generic aspirin. Thanks for the tip!

Other ones worth noting for generics:

Claritin or Clarityn -  Loratadine  (hayfever/antihistamine)  (easy to buy in HU)

Imodium - Loperamide (anti-diarrhoea) (not tried to buy this one in HU)

Malarone - Atovaquone/proguanil (anti-malarial) (hard to get generic in HU, also needs prescription)

Tylenol - paracetamol (should be easy to get in HU)

Advil - Ibruprofen (should be easy to get in HU)

This is great! I will keep a list in DropBox.
Thank you

Very true, but I still like the flavored Tums better than the old regular Tums. However, in a pinch...