Any ideas how to make the transition a little bit easier?

Good day everyone.  I am Natasha.  My hubby and I are moving to Bristol in April 2017.  We are from South-Africa.  We are a little bit nervous about this.  Any ideas how to make the transition a little bit easier?  We also have 2 daughters.  We are in our 30's.

Hi Natasha Roberts,

Welcome to Expat.com.

I have created a new thread with your post on the England forum so as to encourage members to communicate with you.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank you very much!

Natasha, i am in a similar position. Im going to move to London in April 2017 with my wife and two daugthers, and we are also in our 30´s. Im scared as hell as you are. I think it´s a common feeling once you are near the date of moving. Good luck to you and your family in this new experience. We are from Argentina.

Aussie Expat who's lived in 4 Countries: OZ, USA, Wales & England UK.

Between now and your relocation move; get involved with online forums and blogs to make friends ahead of time in your adopted area.  Start your own New Friends wanted in Bristol thread on Expat Forum; check out if there's a Sunday Assembly group within Your adopted area and join their Facebook Page - then attend their once a month meetups plus click into any other social events and outings they host in between meetups.  It's a non religious social group that helped us feel part of the community quickly.  Expat group connected me with expel who felt like Longterm friends who Welcomed us in person upon our arrival into Cardiff, Wales.  So we didn't feel like strangers upon artiving into our new adopted country.  Sunday Assembly members Welcomed us when we relocated to Reading, England:  sundayassemblyreading.uk

It'll be easier to form new friendships with Kids as head off to school and after school activities; they mix with other kids and you get yo meet these kids parents.   Wishing you well with your April relocation; building relationships prior to this move date will definitely make your transition easier for you when you do.

Welcome to UK.   Hope You'll love it as much as we currently do.  We've lived these past 20 months in UK....  I say currently; because who knows what the future holds post / beyond Brexit?? 
Life of Living in America was fabulous; that was until post September 11, 2001.  Sadly It changed for the worse thereafter.....  We relocated to live in UK in Feb, 2015 and haven't been happier.  The Welsh are one of the warmest and friendliest group of people we've had the pleasure of meeting / knowing.   It was a joy and pleasure to spend our first 12 months living in Wales.  Only wish their weather was better.  Rained daily.

On the other hand; living closer In towards England is a better location as we frequently visit London now and the weather is way nicer.  Very little rain and more blue sky's than Wales; however, the English; they are less welcoming and open to build friendships with us expats.   However, plenty of expats live in London plus London also enjoys a smorgasbord of various cultures mingling together.   Cost of living is extremely high living in London.  Reading is a 25 minute Train ride into Picadilli Station. With a Fast Commuter Train currently being built - expected to be fully running in 2018.   There's already a 24/7 Train.

Natasha Roberts wrote:

Good day everyone.  I am Natasha.  My hubby and I are moving to Bristol in April 2017.  We are from South-Africa.  We are a little bit nervous about this.  Any ideas how to make the transition a little bit easier?  We also have 2 daughters.  We are in our 30's.

Hi Natasha,

Bristol is a wonderful city for families with kids! There are so many things to do in the city and around in the suburbs. Each area regularly has street parties in the summer, lots of play parks and so many coffee shops and restaurants that you will find something for the whole family.

Bristol was recently selected as one of the best cities to live in Europe and it is true! On a sunny cold day the city is beautiful with lots of old buildings and green open spaces. There are also many good schools in the area, a wide variety of shops and facilities for families.
Take a look at the Bristol website to see if there are any festivals going on or events that you can join and meet people. But I would start by meeting your neighbours as Bristolians are down to earth and lovely - just good luck with the accent!

Let us know how you get on!

jobboardfinder wrote:
Natasha Roberts wrote:

Hi Natasha,

Bristol is a wonderful city for families with kids! There are so many things to do in the city and around in the suburbs. Each area regularly has street parties in the summer, lots of play parks and so many coffee shops and restaurants that you will find something for the whole family.

Bristol was recently selected as one of the best cities to live in Europe and it is true! On a sunny cold day the city is beautiful with lots of old buildings and green open spaces. There are also many good schools in the area, a wide variety of shops and facilities for families.
Take a look at the Bristol website to see if there are any festivals going on or events that you can join and meet people. But I would start by meeting your neighbours as Bristolians are down to earth and lovely - just good luck with the accent!

Let us know how you get on!

Just a pity about the Airport !!