Spanish Driving Licence

Do I require to have a Spanish Driving Licence if I wish to buy my own car in Spain.  I hold a full British Licence at the moment.

A UK license is valid in all EU countries, so you should be fine.  In fact, no license is required in order to purchase a vehicle.  A license confers the privilege of driving it.

Thank you for the quick reply.

My UK licence was within two months of expiring and so I obtained a Spanish one as I have a residency tarjeta and you cannot renew a UK licence if you live permanently in another country even within the EU according to DVLA.
The process was completed after a medical, the usual paperwork and a modest fee.

Once Brexit is underway officially the position of all current immigrants within UK and EU will have to be negotiated although i suspect anyone currently residing in either country will be able to remain....watch this space.

Ridlunio wrote:

My UK licence was within two months of expiring and so I obtained a Spanish one as I have a residency tarjeta and you cannot renew a UK licence if you live permanently in another country even within the EU according to DVLA.
The process was completed after a medical, the usual paperwork and a modest fee.

Once Brexit is underway officially the position of all current immigrants within UK and EU will have to be negotiated although i suspect anyone currently residing in either country will be able to remain....watch this space.

That's nice, however the question at hand was about buying a car, which your post doesn't address at all.  Brexit is entirely irrelevant to the matter.

So what happens when you want to exchange your UK lisence to a Spanish one exactly? Can you still drive a Manual?

plants1 wrote:

So what happens when you want to exchange your UK lisence to a Spanish one exactly? Can you still drive a Manual?

It's just same, so yes you can still drive a manual.

http://www.canarianweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Licence.jpg

Thanks for that. I was reading that

expatica.com/es/moving-to/Renewing-or-exchanging-EU-driving-licences-in-Spain_473563.html

and seems very complex? Rid said there is a medical aswell?

My lisence is a full UK one valid for 10 years, about 9 now and I can only drive a Manual not a lorry or anything.

I am under 40 years old

Whatever classes, with the exception of D1, the minibus licence, transfer automatically when you exchange. Some classes, like the big van, small lorry, run for shorter periods than others, for instance the standard car licence. So if you wish to maintain those classes with shorter validity you need to renew your licence, and do the medical, more frequently.

If one is moving to Spain then it makes sense to exchange one's DL to a Spanish one.   I did it with my UK  DL and my wife exchanged her Philippines DL,

If we are stopped in our Spanish Reg car, the police see a DL which they understand so no  'accidentally' finding a fineaable problem,

If one drives with a non-Spanish DL they must have a medical cert in the vehicle which is equal to that which would be required if one were driving on a Spanish DL. 

Also as mentioned, one cannot renew a UK DL unless they live there, that does not mean have a postal address.

I have met many who when reporting a crime have lost,  or had their UK DL stolen.  One must have a DL in their possession at all times when driving.  Replacing a UK  DL as I said is impossible of one does not live there, and even they could it would take some time !