Close

Spanish Driving Licence

Do I require to have a Spanish Driving Licence if I wish to buy my own car in Spain.  I hold a full British Licence at the moment.

A UK license is valid in all EU countries, so you should be fine.  In fact, no license is required in order to purchase a vehicle.  A license confers the privilege of driving it.

Thank you for the quick reply.

My UK licence was within two months of expiring and so I obtained a Spanish one as I have a residency tarjeta and you cannot renew a UK licence if you live permanently in another country even within the EU according to DVLA.
The process was completed after a medical, the usual paperwork and a modest fee.

Once Brexit is underway officially the position of all current immigrants within UK and EU will have to be negotiated although i suspect anyone currently residing in either country will be able to remain....watch this space.

Ridlunio :

My UK licence was within two months of expiring and so I obtained a Spanish one as I have a residency tarjeta and you cannot renew a UK licence if you live permanently in another country even within the EU according to DVLA.
The process was completed after a medical, the usual paperwork and a modest fee.

Once Brexit is underway officially the position of all current immigrants within UK and EU will have to be negotiated although i suspect anyone currently residing in either country will be able to remain....watch this space.

That's nice, however the question at hand was about buying a car, which your post doesn't address at all.  Brexit is entirely irrelevant to the matter.

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Spain

Flights to Spain

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Spain