How to send Cash from Mauritius to South Africa?

Hey guys,

Just a quick one, I need to send/transfer cash to SA but I do not have a Mauritius bank account yet, I have a FNB Visa Card here. My wife is in SA and she has a Standard Bank account, any ideas?

Cheers

Hi W,

Why not log on to your Internet banking with FNB and then transfer the funds normally to Standard Bank?

If you have hard cash, I would suggest that you try use Moneygram. 

You will be given a reference number which you could then send to your wife. She can then go to a Moneygram outlet in South Africa and collect. I'm not sure if Standard Bank still processes Moneygram transactions (they used to) but I know that FNB does.

She may need to provide her FICA/KYC documents when collecting, depending on where she goes.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, my brother also suggested Moneygram... It's hard cash, otherwise I would've donebthe internet banking thing.

I went to MCB today for an account but they also need my proof of residence in SA, and a signed lease doesn't suffice...

Any way of transferring that cash into my FNB??

Cheers

Werner_West wrote:

Thanks, my brother also suggested Moneygram... It's hard cash, otherwise I would've donebthe internet banking thing.

I went to MCB today for an account but they also need my proof of residence in SA, and a signed lease doesn't suffice...

Any way of transferring that cash into my FNB??

Cheers

What about PayPal? Some countries (Not Mauritius) you can transfer funds out of your PayPal account to your local bank account.

Werner_West wrote:

Hey guys,

Just a quick one, I need to send/transfer cash to SA but I do not have a Mauritius bank account yet, I have a FNB Visa Card here. My wife is in SA and she has a Standard Bank account, any ideas?

Cheers

Does your wife have VISA card as well? If so, could you credit the cash into that VISA or MasterCard (Mauritius Commercial Bank) account? Ask the State Bank of Mauritius, they represent VISA in Mauritius.<br>
Another thought: From PayPal account to VISA credit card account?

Paypal - provided in SA, you can withdraw the money from your Paypal account to your bank account

Moneygram - affiliated with Mauritius Commercial Bank

Western Union - located in Port Louis or at any branch of the State Bank of Mauritius (SBM)

Or if you want, you can create a local bank account, load money into it and do wire transfers.

WinstonH wrote:

Paypal - provided in SA, you can withdraw the money from your Paypal account to your bank account

WinstonH. Do you know if there is still foreign exchange control in South Africa [like Mauritius until 1994]?

hey, try worldremit.com you send it online and she can get it directly on her phone, is she is in SA it wont be a problem, i use the same for zimbabwe.

frenchieg wrote:
WinstonH wrote:

WinstonH. Do you know if there is still foreign exchange control in South Africa [like Mauritius until 1994]?

Sorry...no idea about that...maybe a SA expat could shed some light on this.

Hi All,

There is still Exchange Control in South Africa. The rules have relaxed quite a bit recently but there are still requirements that need to be met.

Message me if you have specific questions.