Retiring to Mauritius .... Maybe :-)

Hi Everyone

From Shannon in County Clare with business interests in Limerick City in Ireland.
Retirement has finally kicked in and my wife and I are looking to retire to Mauritius ..... Maybe :-)
Strong Possibility that we will be travelling out to Port Louis in late Oct or early Nov for a two week break / research session to way up the pros and cons for same.

First item on the list will be buying a property and the legislation behind it?
I was trying to make contact with a Brendan Buckley who had been living near Grand Bay on this topic and who had previous moved to Mauritius from Ireland and had dealings in the property sector 12 months ago ... anyone have any info / details?

Second item on the list will be Public / Private Health Care in Mauritius.
What are the costs involved?
Does one have to be a member?
Do you need to be a Official Citizen?

All replies are appreciated!

Regards
Maurice O'Connell
Shannon, Co Clare

Hi,

Regarding buying property, as an expat, you have 2 options:

Either...Buying into a Property Development Scheme. It's a special realty project geared towards foreigners who want to acquire a villa in Mauritius. Pricing starts at $500,000.

Or, you have the option of buying an apartment.

Mauritius has both public and private healthcare.
You don't have to be a member.

Public healthcare is free for citizens of Mauritius. In the case of an expat, you will be billed accordingly.

Take your time to look for the right property and conditions for foreign buyers. I would advise you to rent an Apartment/Villa and stay at different places of the Island to find out where you will feel most comfortable. Good luck

Winston

Thank you for your reply and words of wisdom. I'll take those points on board when researching.

Much appreciated
Maurice.

Hi Pdlh

Thank you for your reply and words of wisdom. I'll take those points on board when doing my research.

Much appreciated
Maurice.

You will find lots of hints and tips about retiring here on the website. Doing a 3-6 month rental is a good option. Location will depend on whether you want cooler or hotter temperatures as well as your interests and how you like to spend your time.

Make sure you read through the BOI website information about retiring in Mauritius .

With regards to healthcare, look at the information on this site and also get some quotes from medical insurers over here as if you have any existing conditions they may be exempt.

Best of luck

Thank you most sincerely for your reply and words of wisdom. I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Much appreciated

Maurice

Hello Maurice,

Your "migration plans" to retire in Mauritius refers.

Just to set the record right: If you buy an apartment anywhere on the island it has to be in a complex that has ground floor + 2. This is permitted after you have:

1. Brought in US$ 40,000 per annum for 3 years i.e. a totla of US$ 120,000.
2. Or a flat US$ 120,000 in first year. We are currently investigating this issue for a South African couple with the Board of Investment (BoI). In this sense, we are awaiting a written confirmation from BoI of what stated.
Important: Always get everything confirmed in writing.

Click on the 3 links below:

a. Mauritius National Budget 2016-2017 which refers to new legislative changes.
b. THE FINANCE (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) BILL 2016
     Section 39 Non-Citizens (Property Restriction) Act amended

I also read that you are coming to Mauritius in November this year.
Accommodation: There are some nice sea front self-catering apartments available in Mauritius and if you come mid-November to 1st week in December the rates are lower, book as early as possible though.

We always recommend that clients rent a year or two first to see if Mauritius is a solution, then you can decide if you buy an apartment or go for a PDS (Property Development Scheme).

Be patient in your endeavours. “Take the challenges at hand with a gentle stride.”
Enjoy the journey and everything will work out fine.

Frenchie

Hi Maurice, my husband and I are now happily retired in Mauritius enjoying the fab weather up north in Grand Bay. *** In addition happy to provide you with any helpful info on the traumas of a move. My Husband is a bit of an organiser and I must say our went pretty smoothly  its all down to having the right people in the right place for you . Regards Sue

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of own services.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Maurice
In a similar situation as yourself, from Kerry. We have been visiting Mauritius regularly for the last 10 years or so and look to possibly retire there maybe by 2018/19. We live in Aus at present. We are in Irl for a few days and traveling from Mayo to Kerry on Saturday 15th  Oct if you want to get together for a coffee. We are also in Mauritius from end Oct to beginning Dec in Grand Baie area if you want to pick our brains on different areas etc we can fill you in on some details. Have you looked at tax implications etc? Some of the above links / info is pretty good. Send me a PM if you want to have a coffee and we can trade details.... Regards

Hi,
I came to Mauritius to retire as I had been visiting the island as a tourist for many years. Please be aware it is very different living here as to being a tourist. Come for a year and then decide if you like it. I am leaving after a year -  mind you I am a single woman, might be different if you are a couple

I was considering retiring there as well. If you don't mind, what are some of the reasons why you are leaving? Where do you plan to go?

Hi Jkev

Sorry for the delayed in replying - up to my eyes at work in the US and Canada over the past few weeks and only now catching up on this side of things. To my horror, I've arrived back in Ireland only to discover that the house I thought I had sold fell through because of a right of way that was discovered on the Deeds of the property which was not picked up on the initial legal search that was done 20 years ago when I first bought it. I've relaxed a bit now since I've been told that it can be removed but it may take a few months to do so and then the sale process starts all over again.

It now looks like I won't make it out to Mauritius for at least a few months but I will keep your advice in mind and very much appreciate the reply.

Many thanks
Maurice.

Hi Frenchie

Sorry for the delay in replying - up to my eyes at work in the US and Canada over the past few weeks and only now catching up on this side of things. To my horror, I've arrived back in Ireland only to discover that the house I thought I had sold fell through because of a right of way that was discovered on the Deeds of the property which was not picked up on the initial legal search that was done 20 years ago when I first bought it. I've relaxed a bit now since I've been told that it can be removed but it may take a few months to do so and then the sale process starts all over again.

It now looks like I won't make it out to Mauritius for at least a few months but I will keep your advice in mind and very much appreciate the reply.

Many thanks
Maurice.

Hi Sue

Sorry for the delay in replying - up to my eyes at work in the US and Canada over the past few weeks and only now catching up on this side of things. To my horror, I've arrived back in Ireland only to discover that the house I thought I had sold fell through because of a right of way that was discovered on the Deeds of the property which was not picked up on the initial legal search that was done 20 years ago when I first bought it. I've relaxed a bit now since I've been told that it can be removed but it may take a few months to do so and then the sale process starts all over again.

Many thanks
Maurice.

Hi WhiteSharkBait

Sorry for the delayed in replying - up to my eyes at work in the US and Canada over the past few weeks and only now catching up on this side of things. To my horror, I've arrived back in Ireland only to discover that the house I thought I had sold fell through because of a right of way that was discovered on the Deeds of the property which was not picked up on the initial legal search that was done 20 years ago when I first bought it. I've relaxed a bit now since I've been told that it can be removed but it may take a few months to do so and then the sale process starts all over again.

It now looks like I won't make it out to Mauritius for at least a few months but it would be great to meet up and discuss sometime.

Many thanks
Maurice.

Hi Dhalgren

To put it simply to get away from the mad world and live the rest of my days in tranquil surroundings.

Regards
Maurice

hope it all goes well for you

Take Care

Sue