Close

Dengue treatment in Kuala Lumpur. Sunway Medical Hospital

I know a guy who is stuck in Sunway medical now. Had dengue, but no money. Hospital ask to pay rm12k for hospitalization. Ask insurance already. They ask him to wait 3 months for approval. Then hospital ask him to pay monthly for 3 months. But still cost over 3ks. Anyone knows anyone who have a higher bill than his?

I once got Dengue Fever. I stayed in bed at home pretty much for two weeks, drank at least a couple of liters of water every day and lots of guava juice. I even went to Bandung for a holiday as we had guests visiting But I couldn't go out with them, just lay in bed most of the time sweating and feeling half dead with a splitting headache and aching bones and joints for two weeks. I felt as if I was going to die.

My wife got Dengue a few months ago, but I guess her strain of the virus was lighter than mine a she was not as badly affected, just stayed in bed for 2 or 3 days and felt awful.

RM12k seems an awful lot to treat Dengue Fever. I mean it mostly involves giving painkillers and putting you on an intravenous drip so that you get lots of fluids into your system. I thought mostly young kids and the elderly were hospitalized for Dengue.

Assuming a typical private room at a hospital costs around RM300 - 400 per night, then a semi-private or a 6 to a ward would be a lot lot cheaper, then what does the RM12k represent? Also what kind of insurance company was he using? I once got hospitalized for a slipped disc spinal surgery at Pantai Hospital and that cost RM20k and the insurance company paid the bill when I checked out of the hospital four days later.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of that guys hospital bill and to know which insurance company he is using.

Expatriate health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kuala Lumpur

Travel insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Kuala Lumpur

Flights to Kuala Lumpur

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Kuala Lumpur