Importing a car into Spain or Gibraltar

I would like to know which is the easiest option to import a car into Spain or Gibraltar.

I have a second home in Marbella, Spain and would like to import a car from Dubai to Spain.

I am not sure if it would be easier and cheaper to ship it to Gibraltar have it registered with GIB plates including insurance and drive it into Spain or not.

May be its better to ship directly into Malaga and pay the Spanish duties and taxes have have Spanish plates with Spanish insurance.

Can anybody assist and let me know.

Thank you.

To have a car on Gibraltar plates you have to be resident in Gibraltar

You would probably be better off selling your car in Dubai and purchasing another in Spain.

Does your car conform to European specifications?

Gibraltar Insurance companies can at the moment insure Spanish registered cars, I use … nefits.htm

I am currently relocating to Gibraltar from Dubai and wanted to know how much it would cost or an estimate to import my car with the relocation. Any information is highly appreciated.

The car is a Seat Ibiza 1.6 CC , 2012.

The import duty is 18% of the customs officer's estimated value of the vehicle.

They used to use Glass's Guide to check values but I am not sure if that is still the practice.

This assumes you drive into Gibraltar via the frontier, if you ship the vehicle in you will also be charged 18% on the shipping cost.

It will have to undergo a test and be fitted with local plates, cost about £100
Plus insurance which is fairly competitive locally.

The above is to the best of my knowledge, I last did this 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information. I figured from glass website the cost of the car would be around 7000 GBP . And got quotation for shipping to be around 1600$ USD to Spain .

From Spain you would drive over the frontier reducing your import duty obligations relating to shipping,

Also I believe Glass's guide relates to street prices in UK and therefore tax paid in UK so you should be able to reduce that valuation by the tax value.

Questions and answers about transports

Ask your question
Direct flight to Paris?
By naejnolliug
By maxtiger1
Car finance & moving to Gib
By michaelw2010
car service to border
By bg12
Buying a car in Gibraltar
By kenjee

Expatriate health insurance in Gibraltar

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Gibraltar

Moving to Gibraltar

Find tips from professionals about moving to Gibraltar

Travel insurance in Gibraltar

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Gibraltar

Flights to Gibraltar

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Gibraltar