Starting a life in Hanoi and need advices

Hello people,
after a long time, I have been given an opportunity to have an internship in Hanoi and will be moving there in November.
I would like to ask few questions:
What can I expect from a rent for 200 US dollars? Will it be decent for living there, or Ishould anticipate a low level accommodation? It will be within a radius 7-8 km from Dich Wong district.
I will have a motor bike while I will be in Vietnam.
Second: Is it possible to find a part-time job as a teacher of English in Hanoi? During evenings and weekends, because my internship salary might not cover all my costs connected with my life in Vietnam.
There will be a friend of mine whose english is really good and has many experiences working in the US and trying to find a job for him too.

Third: how about social life? Where I should go and meet other expats and have a LOT of fun? I really like to meet and know new people :)

Thank you very much for any advice and help.   

Cheers guys and hope to see you there.

Welcome to the forum... :)

I suggest that you read through the many informative posts on the forum first for information and advice.
Then perhaps ask specific questions.

Hi, Roldo. Welcome to Việt nam. I already had a friends who come from france. I know for sure  the answers for your questions.
1. About to rent apartment with 200 us dollars.
It's depend on your demands, for me. I'm a student at HN university transport of technology. and have just graduated . Now,I rent a house with my sister and my brother. I have to pay 700 vn đồng ( about 50 dollar each months), but we are deferent :) .  in ordinary, the cost about 200 to 500 dollars for an apartment or a house including the water cost, elictric cost. U can access some websites for housing and property to find out the apartments that U want to rent. Maybe, I can help U when U come to Viet nam.
2. Too much of english center are growing up in HN at the moment such as: Apollo english center, British Council, or local center such as: Headstart, smartcome viet nam, ..... U can apply to this english center or teaching at home or become a tutor with high salary. I don't know it's easy or hard to U apply to these english center, it's depend on your ability.
3. About social life :)
Viet nam's one of the most peace  country in the world. Vietnamese is kind and friendly. Viet nam have great dishes and beautiful sites and U should try to experience the Viet nam's culture. Don't worry. I think U will get used to with social in vietnam soon.

Hi Guys!
thank you very much for your posts :) I am already in contact with several english teaching schools.
Really looking forward coming to Hanoi this november.

You're welcome.

Hi, Roldo. Welcome to Việt nam.
I am living in Hanoi and I can give you the answers for your questions.
1. About to rent apartment with 200 us dollars.
I am living in an apartment in VOV building, I know some Vietnamese are renting with about 200$, but without any furniture,  I don't know there are different with foreigner.
VOV building is about 7km to Dich Vong street (in Cau Giay district).  Maybe, I can help U when U come to Viet nam.
2. About part-time job. Because I am looking for an foreigner coming from English speaking country to work with my children. I hope you  have experience in teaching children, special spent time to play and teach English language.

You can write to me when you need any help in Hanoi.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Do not share contact infos on the forum please.